Debian testing: GNOME2 > GNOME3 transition

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Debian testing: GNOME2 > GNOME3 transition

Postby limaunion » 2011-11-21 12:14

Hi all! I'm running debian testing currently with GNOME2. Now I'm planning to issue an 'aptitude dist-ugrade' but before I'd like to know if there's some documentation (wiki/release notes/etc) about possible issues to be expected from this transition, or it is a smooth process?

AFAIK GNOME3 requires video hardware acceleration and my notebook has an ATI Radeon X2300, is it supported for this setup?

TIA!
limaunion

Re: Debian testing: GNOME2 > GNOME3 transition

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2011-11-21 21:36

limaunion wrote:Hi all! I'm running debian testing currently with GNOME2. Now I'm planning to issue an 'aptitude dist-ugrade' but before I'd like to know if there's some documentation (wiki/release notes/etc) about possible issues to be expected from this transition, or it is a smooth process?
Release notes are for stable, you're supposed to test it and let us know :)
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby limaunion » 2011-11-21 22:41

ok... got it :-)
limaunion

Postby flabdablet » 2011-11-22 13:55

Back your present installation up before doing the dist-upgrade.

I got Gnome 3 foisted on me by accident after not doing that, I find myself becoming enraged by some newly discovered piece of grotesque misdesign every time I sit down in front of it, and as far as I've been able to find out there's no easy way to put Gnome 2 back. I have even been unable to make xfce work. I will probably end up trying a clean install with xfce but I really, really wish I'd backed up first.

The trouble with apt is that it's good enough to lull you into a false sense of security :-)
flabdablet

Return to Desktop & Multimedia