Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

{SOLVED}gnome-shell-extensions installed.not working?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
praka123

{SOLVED}gnome-shell-extensions installed.not working?

#1 Post by praka123 »

Hi,
I installed Gnome-Shell-Extensions from experimental repository especially for alternative-status-menu. I installed the dependencies manually. ie, dconf-gsettings-backend_0.10.0-3 and gir1.2-gtop-2.0_2.28.4-2 packages. using testing distribution.
After installation, I noticed no changes. I tried alt+f2=r to reload and even restarted but no changes visible. what is wrong?

/usr/share/doc/gnome-shell-extensions/README :
GNOME Shell Extensions is a collection of extensions providing additional
and optional functionality to GNOME Shell.
Since GNOME Shell is not API stable, extensions work only against a very
specific version of the shell, usually the same as this package (see
"configure --version"). Also, since extensions are built from many
individual contributors, we cannot guarantee stability or quality for any
specific extension.
For these reasons, distributions are advised to avoid installing or packaging
this module by defaul.

For more information about GNOME Shell Extensions
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions

For general information about GNOME Shell
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

Bugs should be reported at http://bugzilla.gnome.org against the 'gnome-shell'
product, with the 'extensions' component.

Extensions
==========

alternate-tab

Lets you use classic Alt+Tab (window-based instead of app-based) in GNOME Shell.

alternative-status-menu

For those who want a power off item visible at all the time, replaces GNOME Shell
status menu with one featuring separate Suspend and Power Off. Adds the ability to
hibernate as well.

apps-menu

Lets you reach an application using gnome 2.x style menu on the panel.

auto-move-windows

Lets you manage your workspaces more easily, assigning a specific workspace to
each application as soon as it creates a window, in a manner configurable with a
GSettings key.

dock

Shows a dock-style task switcher on the right side of the screen.

drive-menu
Shows a status menu for rapid unmount and power off of external storage devices
(i.e. pendrives)

example

A minimal example illustrating how to write extensions.

gajim

Integration with Gajim, a Jabber/XMPP instant messaging client.

native-window-placement

An alternative algorithm for layouting the thumbnails in the windows overview, that
more closely reflects the actual positions and sizes.

places-menu

Shows a status Indicator for navigating to Places.

systemMonitor

An message tray indicator showing CPU and memory loads.

user-theme

Loads a shell theme from ~/.themes/<name>/gnome-shell.

windowsNavigator

Allow keyboard selection of windows and workspaces in overlay mode.

xrandr-indicator

Replace the GTK+ based indicator from gnome-settings-daemon with
a native one. Lets the user rotate the laptop monitor and open
display preferences quickly.
Last edited by praka123 on 2012-01-05 17:30, edited 3 times in total.
Debian (Testing/Unstable)

vbrummond

Re: gnome-shell-extensions installed. no changes observed?

#2 Post by vbrummond »

The version of Gnome Shell in Wheezy/Testing is 3.0.2. The packages in experimental are for 3.2.0. You will need to wait for Gnome 3.2 to be uploaded into Testing.
Always on Debian Testing

praka123

#3 Post by praka123 »

vbrummond wrote:The version of Gnome Shell in Wheezy/Testing is 3.0.2. The packages in experimental are for 3.2.0. You will need to wait for Gnome 3.2 to be uploaded into Testing.
I have pulled Gnome 3.2 from unstable repo(apt-pinning) version:3.2.1-8 . so, it should work. right? is there anything in dconf/gconf needs to be touched?

guess, it will be much easy putting extensions in ~/ directory.

TIA+

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

I think the shell versions are very strict but if you have the version in unstable it probably should work. Nothing shows up in the looking glass? (in shell press alt+f2 and type lg)
Always on Debian Testing

praka123

#5 Post by praka123 »

vbrummond wrote:I think the shell versions are very strict but if you have the version in unstable it probably should work. Nothing shows up in the looking glass? (in shell press alt+f2 and type lg)
lg shows that all extensions are loaded.
However, I found that in dconf-editor org>gnome>shell>enabled-extensions as empty.
EDIT: SOLVED
the one sitting between computer and chair was the problem, it seems. You may go to Advanced Menu(gnome-tweak-tool) and enable the extensions needed. :mrgreen:

vbrummond

Re: {SOLVED}gnome-shell-extensions installed.not working?

#6 Post by vbrummond »

Oh, excellent I am glad you solved it.
Always on Debian Testing

praka123

#7 Post by praka123 »

update: some of the extensions results in gnome-shell crashing. for eg: "Alternative Status Menu" which is exactly what I want.
for eg: if I enable "Alternative Status Menu" while in Gnome-Shell Session, it works and shows up alt. options(hibernate,shutdown etc) in Gnome status Applet. but, while logging in, it crashes and asks to disable.

I'll try installing the above extension locally using gnome-tweak-tool(>shell-extensions)

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#8 Post by 4D696B65 »

praka123 wrote:update: some of the extensions results in gnome-shell crashing. for eg: "Alternative Status Menu" which is exactly what I want.
for eg: if I enable "Alternative Status Menu" while in Gnome-Shell Session, it works and shows up alt. options(hibernate,shutdown etc) in Gnome status Applet. but, while logging in, it crashes and asks to disable.

I'll try installing the above extension locally using gnome-tweak-tool(>shell-extensions)
That is a well known issue that is solved in an odd way.
Your account has a picture that is shown in the status menu, if your picture is the default grey head and shoulders the extension will crash. Go into system settings > user accounts and give your account a real picture. after doing this it will not crash any more.

praka123

#9 Post by praka123 »

I encountered another problem after installing Alternative-status-menu extension. even after purging gnome-shell-extension package, the debugging commands for gnome-shell is not working. I mean, if I Press ALT+F2 and try "r" or "ch", "lg" etc it shows error. although, it can run other commands. although, it works fine in another account in the same Debian box.
Any Idea what went wrong?

4D696B65 wrote:
praka123 wrote:update: some of the extensions results in gnome-shell crashing. for eg: "Alternative Status Menu" which is exactly what I want.

That is a well known issue that is solved in an odd way.
Your account has a picture that is shown in the status menu, if your picture is the default grey head and shoulders the extension will crash. Go into system settings > user accounts and give your account a real picture. after doing this it will not crash any more.
Thanks for that. I have changed the icon used and will try later.

TIA+

praka123

Re: gnome-shell-extensions installed.not working?

#10 Post by praka123 »

found the problem after some googling.

You have to enable development tools in gsettings for gnome-shell. so, the solution is :

Code: Select all

gsettings reset org.gnome.shell development-tools
explanation:
Allows access to internal debugging and monitoring tools using the Alt-F2 dialog

I installed poweroptions shell extension to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions folder.
Here is from where I downloaded shell extensions: http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/

then ran:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.shell enabled-extensions "['poweroptions@fpmurphy.com']"
^ enabling gnome-shell-extension as above.

This adds a much needed shutdown,hibernate options to the status Menu. this is for local user only. I think it needs to add to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory and run above command will enable for global use.
after this, I checked gnome-tweak-tool(Advanced Settings in Menu) and in Shell-extension it shows Shutdown Menu "ON". so, otherwise that tool cannot enable shell extensions as such? :?

screenshot after adding shutdown extension: