Gnome 3: Chrome menu issue

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Gnome 3: Chrome menu issue

Postby ulsigem » 2012-03-16 22:09

I am currently using a combo of testing/unstable packages with apt-pinning. 32-bit edition of Debian.

I downloaded the Google Chrome deb file from their webpage. When using Gdebi, it installs all missing packages with no errors, but does not update the gnome shell menu to show that Chrome is installed.

There is an error when using gpk-application to install google-chrome-stable.deb:

GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: SimulateInstallFiles not supported by backend
GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: SimulateInstallFiles not supported by backend

Looking at my filesystem I found that chrome was installed to /opt/google/chrome/ , it may not be an issue but it is the only application in this directory, everything else is in /usr/bin/ even iceweasel has a symlink in there.

I can easily add a shortcut in the menu using alacarte and pointing to chrome in /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome, but the thing is I shouldn't have to. This issue is NOT present in KDE running on my laptop. Using GDebi in KDE installs chrome and Chrome shows up in the KDE menu.

This is not new user friendly. An unfamiliar user might assume that something went wrong with the installation. Typing chrome in the search area brings up nothing.

Also should I file a bug about this? And if so, to what package should it be filed against? Gdebi,menu,gnome,gpk-application,gpk-dbus-service? Thank you in advance.
ulsigem

Re: Gnome 3: Chrome menu issue

Postby dusty_fox » 2012-03-17 00:46

Use
Code: Select all
$ sudo dpkg -i <path to chrome .deb file>

dpkg is probably the best way to manually install .deb files.
dusty_fox

Postby ulsigem » 2012-03-17 23:38

Yes, normally dpkg is the best way to install downloaded .deb files but dpkg does not necessarily check to see if the required dependencies are met.
If you use dpkg, make sure to follow up with apt-get to resolve dependencies.

root su:
# dpkg -i /path/to/file/downloadeddebfile.deb
# apt-get -f install

sudo:
$sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file/downloadeddebfile.deb
$sudo apt-get -f install

Thank you for your input dusty_fox.
ulsigem

Postby dusty_fox » 2012-03-18 02:17

Yes, I forgot to mention to always follow up with that apt-get line, or if you use aptitude,
Code: Select all
# aptitude safe-upgrade
dusty_fox

Return to Desktop & Multimedia