Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

flash fails in iceweasel and chromium

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fz0dbx

Re: flash fails in iceweasel and chromium

#31 Post by fz0dbx »

If I remove flashplayer-mozilla and go to a page like youtube. It will tell me I need a plugin but then it will play the HTML5 version of the video. This is better than nothing. At least for videos that have both flash and HTML5, I will be able to see the HTML5. There is definitely something wrong with the flash .so or libraries that it depends on or the nvidia driver. Is there someplace I can get older flash plugins to try?

craigevil

#32 Post by craigevil »

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 under NVIDIA drivers (hangs, crashes and blue skin color) - nV News Forums - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177380

How to fix the leaking overlay problem of Flash and Nvidia - my-guides.net - http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linu ... and-nvidia

Fragments of nothing?: Linux: Gnome 3.4, Nvidia. Fix tearing in fullscreen Flash - http://fragmentsofnothing.blogspot.com/ ... ng-in.html

Flash video appears blue - Ask Ubuntu - http://askubuntu.com/questions/117127/f ... pears-blue

Remove and purge flash, if you use Iceweasel/Firefox remove the pluginreg.dat, if you use Chromium/Chrome delete the entire cache in ~/cache mine for example is /home/craig/.cache/google-chrome/ .

Reinstall flashplugin-nonfree, follow any of the fixes in the links posted above.

Do not manually move the flash plugin, or mess with symlinks.

If it is not working at all check the permissions on your browser executable.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 craig craig 54008 Apr 20 18:59 firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 May 17 12:42 iceweasel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 22 20:17 google-chrome

and the plugin's permissions
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17379564 May 6 18:46 libflashplayer.so

Also check that the correct flash is set
Current status can be checked by running
update-alternatives --display flash-mozilla.so

If its not set it:
update-alternatives --config mozilla-flashplugin
or
update-alternatives --auto flash-mozilla.so

Using alternatives you can leave gnash and lightspark installed, but browsers will use Adobe Flash.
update-alternatives --auto flash-mozilla.so

I use flashplayer-mozilla so this it what it shows:

Code: Select all

$ update-alternatives --display flash-mozilla.so
flash-mozilla.so - auto mode
  link currently points to /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so - priority 10
Current 'best' version is '/usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so'.
Flash works if its not working it is one of two things:
problems with the video driver , nvidia seems to have a ton of issues
second, PEBKAC

I do not have an system with nvidia, or even fglrx, all I have is this ancient Thinkpad using radeon.
But I have tried every browser in the repos and every time flash works.
I tried it 4 ways
flashplugin-nonfree
flashplayer-mozilla
and downloading it directly from Adobe and putting the plugin where it belongs
even used the stupid Flash-aid extension which btw is made for Ubuntu which is why it uses sudo
every time it just worked.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

62chevy

#33 Post by 62chevy »

Adobe Flash is the biggest piece of crap software there is for Linux. For that reason I only manually install Flash and always keep an older version laying around. That way when you install the newest version and it doesn't work it's easy to put the old one back in.
Debian Buster

fz0dbx

Re: flash fails in iceweasel and chromium - 10.3 WORKS

#34 Post by fz0dbx »

Yes Adobe is junk. I already had to pin an old version of acroread because newer versions didn't work for pdf portfolios anymore. The problem with flash turns out to be the version also. I got an older version 10.3 from adobe and that works. I don't know whose fault it is Adobe or Nvidia but the latest version of Nvidia in Wheezy does not work with the latest version of flash. At least for my video card.