Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Configure X on an HP Pavilion DV7

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kikinovak

[Solved] Configure X on an HP Pavilion DV7

#1 Post by kikinovak »

Hi,

I'm currently trying to install and configure Debian Squeeze on a client's HP Pavilion DV7. Usually I install and configure a minimal base system, then add sound, then X, then a minimal KDE, then only needed apps.

Base system is installed OK, I now installed the X server with Fluxbox for testing purposes.

Code: Select all

# aptitude install xorg mesa-utils fluxbox
I just gave it a try with 'startx', but out of the box, the Vesa driver is being used, so I guess I'll have to do some manual configuration.

First thing that puzzles me: there are two graphic cards installed in this machine:

Code: Select all

# lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6740
There are some external monitor connectors on the laptop, so how is it? Is there one graphic card for the laptop's 17 inch screen, and one for the external monitor? In that case, which is which?

Any suggestions about how to proceed here?
Last edited by kikinovak on 2012-05-29 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

kikinovak

Re: Configure X on an HP Pavilion DV7

#2 Post by kikinovak »

I'll answer this myself, since I just found the solution. Simply (well, sort of) upgrade kernel AND X.org from Backports to use the Intel chipset. Reboot, and it works. 3D and all.