Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

weird problem with keyboard and mouse (disabled devices)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kerem

weird problem with keyboard and mouse (disabled devices)

#1 Post by kerem »

Hi

I am having an issue with my laptops keyboard and mouse under Squeeze. My debian works fine, however it seems like during the gnome login screen, the laptop`s keyboard and the mouse are disabled. But if i attach an external mouse and keyboard they work in the gnome session. Here is the twist. If the external keyboard and the mouse are also attachedduring the login they do not work as well. So for some reason only hot plug peripherals work as far as I can see. The problem is that I do not know how or why :(

I can use the internal keyboard during grub boot or in an alternate shell (via alt+ctrl+f2 etc). But they just do not work in the gdm3 session as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know any possiblity that can produce such weird issue? I use this as a server and I normally do not interact with it so much. I have been duing upgrades regularly so I am really not sure at what point this issue might have been introduced.

thanks

verahill

Re: weird problem with keyboard and mouse (disabled devices)

#2 Post by verahill »

Sounds very, very familiar: http://verahill.blogspot.com.au/2011/05 ... rk-on.html

i.e. keyboard works up until gdm starts and plugging in a usb keyboard after boot works.
Try:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /run /xrun
and reboot. Hopefully this will work. Make sure to read the post above first -- in particular regarding /var/run
--------------------------------------------------
http://verahill.blogspot.com
OPs: don't forget to mark your (first) post as solved when the issue has been resolved.

kerem

Re: weird problem with keyboard and mouse (disabled devices)

#3 Post by kerem »

Hi

Thanks for the verahill. However I do not have any /run folder to be honest. So I actually looked at similar solutions which none of them worked.The only solution that worked for me to add this option to xorg.conf under ServerLayout

Code: Select all

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"