Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kfind Broken

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jimbo-62

Kfind Broken

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

Well, my first problem with the new installation of Sarge rc3, kernel 2.6.8 and KDE. Kfind appears to be broken. It just doesn't work. If I search for a known file, it just sits there doing nothing. Questions:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there a way to "repair" the installation of kfind? I guess I could un-install and then install again, but maybe there is a more elegant way?

Thanks, jimbo

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

I guess you can try "dpkg --reconfigure <package>"

jimbo-62

#3 Post by jimbo-62 »

Do you mean that I am the only Sarge rc3 user who has a problem with kfind? You know, the menu item labeled "Find Files". If I try to find a known file, and start from "/" kfind immediately locks up. Mepis and Knoppix both work perfectly, only my installation of Debian Sarge rc3 has this problem.

Please help, jimbo

#4 Post by Guest »

If you haven't already I suggest that you fill out a bug report, perhaps you have stumbled upon a problem with Debian an your particular configuration.

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

phaeton

#5 Post by phaeton »

If it makes you feel any better, I have problems with Kfind in a Debian install also. I can search just fine in my home directories, but if I search in the root directory Kfind will crash everytime. When I start the search, the CPU usage will shoot up to 100% for a few seconds then return to normal. The Kfind window won't show that it did anything and completely stop responding.

I've never had a problem with any of the other Debian based distributions I've tried.

jimbo-62

#6 Post by jimbo-62 »

Hey phaeton, I don't know if I feel any better, but it is nice to know that I am not alone. I filed a bug report. Debian is the only didtro where this problem occurs.

jimbo

phaeton

#7 Post by phaeton »

I finally found a solution to this. It's the famd service that's causing the problem. I removed it from the startup services and haven't had a problem since. Here is a link dicussing the issue: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77846

I can't really find much detail on what famd is for other than it appears to be part of Gnome.

#8 Post by Guest »

Hi phaeton,

Thanks for the follow up on this aggravating problem. I am such a noob that I don't know how to remove famd from startup services.

Please give me a tutorial. Thanks, jimbo

phaeton

#9 Post by phaeton »

I'm still a newbie myself. Here's what I did.

Go to Kmenu - System - SysV-Init Editor

I think the first time you run it, it will ask what type of operating system and what distribution you use. Select Linux and Debian. Look at run level 2 start services and there should be a service called fam there. Click on the service, select the service tab, and click the stop button. Try using kfind to see if that solved it. If so, go ahead and drag it to the trashcan on the left side of the screen. That should be all there is to it.

I hope this works for you also.

jimbo-62

#10 Post by jimbo-62 »

phaeton, sorry for the long delay responding, I have been occupied elsewhere for the last couple of weeks. Your solution seems to work!

Now, two more questions. What is fam?

What do you mean "drag it to the trash can"?

Thanks very much, jimbo

phaeton

#11 Post by phaeton »

I really don't know what fam is. I've had it disabled for close to 2 weeks now without any problems.

By dragging it to the trashcan, I mean there is a little trashcan icon under the list of available services on the left side of the window. You can drag the service from the run level and drop it in that trashcan to stop it from starting up in that run level.

lacek

#12 Post by lacek »

Fam is the 'file alteration monitor'. From the description of the package:
FAM monitors files and directories, notifying interested applications of changes.
Note that you can see the package's description with 'apt-cache search package --full'.

Fam caused some very serious headaches to me as well, so I removed it. For example, upon mounting a samba share with smb4k, fam instantly sat onto the mounted share, causing constant bandwidth. But it was only one of the annoyments with it.
It seems that fam is somewhat related to KDE, but I have the fam package removed for years without problem ;-)