Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome 3 fails to remember volume after restart

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GODhack

Gnome 3 fails to remember volume after restart

#1 Post by GODhack »

Gnome 3 fails to remember volume after restart. And to make things worse default is like 20%.
How can I fix this? How can I cange default?

bedtime

Re: Gnome 3 fails to remember volume after restart

#2 Post by bedtime »

I'm no expert but I have a solution that will likely work if you're using the alsa sound driver:

#install the volume manager:
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

#access and change volume to desired level:
alsamixer

#save the current volume for next boot:
sudo alsactl store

I find I need to be sudo to save the volume but that might just be my setup. If the above doesn't work try:
alsactl store

This has worked for me. It will save your volume but please note that it will not save the volume after you've changed it again in gnome. So if you set it in alsamixer then decide to mute it, when you reboot the volume will be at the level you set it at with alsamixer, it wont be muted.

sakamoto

#3 Post by sakamoto »

GODhack wrote:Gnome 3 fails to remember volume after restart. And to make things worse default is like 20%.
How can I fix this? How can I cange default?
are you using wheezy? i am experiencing the same with wheezy and gnome3 classic. i think we should file a bug instead of looking for workarounds? can someone advise?
debian 7.0 wheezy 3.2.0-4-686-pae gnu/linux

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

sakamoto wrote:i think we should file a bug instead of looking for workarounds? can someone advise?
It's not a bug, it's a setting. I can't remember for sure but try gnome-alsa-mixer. Gnome 3 uses a combination of Alsa and Pulse Audio. If setting Alsa doesn't work, check the Pulse audio settings.

yzT

#5 Post by yzT »

It is not a gnome issue, it's pulseaudio. Install alsa-utils (uninstalled by default) and it will be fixed.

Sent through Tapatalk

sakamoto

#6 Post by sakamoto »

confirmed. thanks :D
debian 7.0 wheezy 3.2.0-4-686-pae gnu/linux

evandenbroecke

#7 Post by evandenbroecke »

Using debian jessie and this does not solve the issue. Volume is always reset it to max. It's a problem because my system is connected to very large speakers. It scares the crap out of my cat! Lol! Anyways not good for the speakers too...

Note Volume is Maxed out on login screen as well. Changed Volume to 10% and logged in, volume reset itself to 100%.
Todd Vandenbroecke
evandenbroecke[at]gmail.com