Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When will there be xorg?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Soccypowa

When will there be xorg?

#1 Post by Soccypowa »

I am pretty new to Debian, mostly lived around the rpm neighborhood before. But who could live with those dependencies? Anyway as a last hope to finaly understand the debian way of life i installed Sarge/Testing some time ago. Let us just say that apt-get is a reason alone to leave rpm behind. Anyway to cut to the core, when will there be real debianpackages (no Ubuntu crap) xorg packages in the testing branch?
I'm considering to buy a laptop soon and as I understand the debian packages of Xfree86 is geting a little bit to old for newer graphiccards on laptops and as I am no Linux-wizard I want it to be easy...
Tried to google this one out, but i can't get any good input on that one, have anyone heard anything?

pigah

#2 Post by pigah »

I can't find the links but this is my understanding.
1. Debian folks won't change until the xorg is modularized, as opposed to the monolithic sources that exist now.
2. Checking the xorg pages reveals that the modularization will happen in the next major release. Work on this started in May. They have no timetable for finishing posted.

We could start a pool for when Debian will go to xorg. My guess, based on no information, is that it will occur next February 14th.

I use xfree under Debian and xorg under Gentoo and notice no significant differences.