Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No sound after install Realtek HDaudio driver- Dummy Output

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MrLizard

No sound after install Realtek HDaudio driver- Dummy Output

#1 Post by MrLizard »

So my sound was working with ALSA, but the sound quality was sub-par (it is far better in Windows 7 on the same laptop), so I tried to install the Realtek Linux HD Audio driver source package "Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18" from http://www.realtek.com.tw/. That didn't work at all and now I have no sound at all. Wish I hadn't done that. Anyhow, no I have no sound and I would like to reset ALSA how it was to fix the sound.

I'm on Debian Jessie stable x64

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.43-2 (2017-04-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
I really hope I can fix this without reinstalling the whole system because I spent a lot of time setting everything up and the sound is the only problem. :?

The PulseAudio settings panel says "Dummy output".

My soundcard is: Realtek Audio ALC-3234 on the Dell Inspiron 5548 laptop.

snd-hda-intel was installed before, but I can't seem to reinstall that now.

Here are some potential clues, although I must admit I am relatively new to Linux so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing:
(I'll refrain from entering any more commands I'm not sure about)

lspci | grep Audio

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
sudo mobprobe snd-hda-intel

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_hda_intel': Invalid argument

aplay -l

aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...
cat /proc/asound/modules

(returns nothing)
lsmod | grep snd

snd_soc_rt5640         82914  0 
snd_soc_rl6231         12442  1 snd_soc_rt5640
snd_soc_core          151396  1 snd_soc_rt5640
snd_compress           17197  1 snd_soc_core
snd_soc_sst_acpi       12559  0 
regmap_i2c             12783  1 snd_soc_rt5640
snd_hda_controller     26646  0 
snd_hda_codec         104500  1 snd_hda_controller
snd_hwdep              13148  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                88662  4 snd_soc_rt5640,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_controller
snd_timer              26720  1 snd_pcm
snd                    65338  6 snd_soc_core,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_compress
soundcore              13026  2 snd,snd_hda_codec
i2c_core               46012  11 drm,i915,i2c_i801,snd_soc_rt5640,i2c_hid,i2c_designware_platform,regmap_i2c,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,v4l2_common,videodev

cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=generic
options snd-hda-intel index=#CARD NUM#
options snd-hda-intel model=pch position_fix=1
aptitude search alsa |grep -E ^i.*

i   alsa-base                       - dummy package to ease purging of obsolete 
i   alsa-oss                        - ALSA wrapper for OSS applications         
i   alsa-utils                      - Utilities for configuring and using ALSA  
i   alsamixergui                    - graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA soundca
i   gstreamer0.10-alsa              - GStreamer plugin for ALSA                 
i   gstreamer1.0-alsa               - GStreamer plugin for ALSA 
alsactl init

bash: alsactl: command not found
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

(returns nothing)
but with sudo apt-get install alsa-utils,

"alsa-utils is already the newest version."

I also tried this but it didn't help:

sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2

Thanks.
(As a side note I read that OSS has somewhat better sound than ALSA. Can OSS be installed in Debian 8.8 and is the sound any better? I listen to a lot of music and the sound is noticeably worse in Linux vs in Windows, which is a let down because I would otherwise like to remove Windows entirely... However my priority is of course resetting ALSA so I have some sound.)

stevepusser

Re: No sound after install Realtek HDaudio driver- Dummy Out

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Broadwell hardware is poorly supported on the mid 2014 3.16 kernel--I'm sure if you install inxi and look at the result of inxi -G, you'll also see crippled video indicated if you are using the intel GPU (gallium and llvmpipe).

You can try an upgrade to the latest kernel in jessie-backports; that may sidestep the broken drivers installed by the RT package, since the kernel includes the audio drivers.
MX Linux packager and developer

MrLizard

#3 Post by MrLizard »

stevepusser wrote:Broadwell hardware is poorly supported on the mid 2014 3.16 kernel--I'm sure if you install inxi and look at the result of inxi -G, you'll also see crippled video indicated if you are using the intel GPU (gallium and llvmpipe).

You can try an upgrade to the latest kernel in jessie-backports; that may sidestep the broken drivers installed by the RT package, since the kernel includes the audio drivers.
I installed the driver for my Intel HD 5500 graphics card from jessie-backports - you're right it was gallium llvmpipe before but now it's the correct driver.

Just ran:

sudo apt install -t jessie-backports linux-image-amd64/jessie-backports
I hope that's correct.

MrLizard

#4 Post by MrLizard »

Well, that broke my Wi-Fi drivers. And didn't fix the sound problem, still "dummy output".

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

If you upgrade your kernel, you often need to also upgrade the firmware from jesse-backports also. If your graphics and wi-fi also depend on building a proprietary driver, such as Nvidia or broadcom-sta-dkms, you need to upgrade your linux-headers package to match the new kernel.

The 4.9 kernel also seems to require a workaround for those using Realtek 88XX or 89XX wi-fi hardware, if that applies to you.

Can you still boot into the stock 3.16 kernel? It should appear as a choice in GRUB, maybe under the advanced section.

MrLizard

#6 Post by MrLizard »

stevepusser wrote:If you upgrade your kernel, you often need to also upgrade the firmware from jesse-backports also. If your graphics and wi-fi also depend on building a proprietary driver, such as Nvidia or broadcom-sta-dkms, you need to upgrade your linux-headers package to match the new kernel.
So, I downloaded the driver for the 4.1+ kernel from the Intel website and copied it to /lib/firmware and rebooted but still no wifi.
lsmod shows a "0" next to iwlwifi, which I guess means the driver is not being loaded.
sudo modprobe iwlwifi gives "Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode failed with error -2"

Installing firmware-iwlwifi from the repos doesn't work too, neither from the jessie-backports repo.
stevepusser wrote: The 4.9 kernel also seems to require a workaround for those using Realtek 88XX or 89XX wi-fi hardware, if that applies to you.
No, it's Broadcom Dual-Band AC 3160
stevepusser wrote:Can you still boot into the stock 3.16 kernel? It should appear as a choice in GRUB, maybe under the advanced section.
Yes, I can, and the wi-fi works in there. But of course the sound still doesn't work in either kernel.

So, to use the 4.9 kernel I need to fix the wi-fi problem as above, as well as the sound problem, and to use the 3.16 kernel I need to fix the same sound problem.

Either way... help. Why doesn't anything ever work in Linux on my laptops :(

MrLizard

#7 Post by MrLizard »

Anyone?

At a loss here.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

No, it's Broadcom Dual-Band AC 3160
Seems like a typo, 3160 is an Intel wi-fi chipset.

What do you show for

apt-cache policy firmware-iwlwifi
and

su -c 'ifconfig -a'

MrLizard

#9 Post by MrLizard »

apt-cache policy firmware-iwlwifi

firmware-iwlwifi:

Installed: 0.43

Candidate: 0.43

Version table:
 *** 0.43 0
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie/non-free amd64 Packages

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

su -c 'ifconfig -a'

eth0      
Link encap:Ethernet  
HWaddr 34:17:eb:86:dd:4f  

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        
Link encap:Local Loopback  

inet addr:127.0.0.1  
Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1

RX packets:509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 

RX bytes:35848 (35.0 KiB)  
TX bytes:35848 (35.0 KiB)

Sorry the line breaks didn't copy over properly, but it looks like it's not even seeing my wlan card

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

I repeat, with the newer kernel, you should also upgrade any firmware packages you have installed. Jessie-backports packages do not upgrade automatically; you can get around this with a setting change in Synaptic if you're using it, by using the "-t jessie-backports" flag on the command line, or specifying that apt/aptitude install an exact version.

An easier, quick method would also be just to download the deb package and install in on your system--no messing around with changing the repos: https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back ... re-iwlwifi

Download link at the bottom.

MrLizard

#11 Post by MrLizard »

stevepusser wrote:I repeat, with the newer kernel, you should also upgrade any firmware packages you have installed. Jessie-backports packages do not upgrade automatically; you can get around this with a setting change in Synaptic if you're using it, by using the "-t jessie-backports" flag on the command line, or specifying that apt/aptitude install an exact version.

An easier, quick method would also be just to download the deb package and install in on your system--no messing around with changing the repos: https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back ... re-iwlwifi

Download link at the bottom.
Oh ok, installing that from the backports .deb package worked. I now have wifi in the 4.9 kernel, thanks.

Now for the sound... I would ideally like to install OSS rather than ALSA (for better sound quality), if you could help me out with that?
I'm not sure which packages I need and if there's any other setup/fixing I need to do. After installing that Realtek driver from source, I can't get the sound to work at all.