Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My microphone works like an auricular!

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MMLPQTP

My microphone works like an auricular!

#1 Post by MMLPQTP »

Hi there!

I have a microphone, it works fine, because I tried it in other devices, but in my computer it just works like an auricular.

I can hear music through the microphone!

I am using Debian 9 Stretch, so: Is there some way to revert the “auricular” function, and become it a microphone?

I have only one plug, so, maybe some hardware configuration is not OK.

Thanks!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My microphone works like an auricular!

#2 Post by sunrat »

A microphone is just like a speaker wired up backwards technically, although it won't work very well as such. If it's plugged in to the microphone input it's probably a software setting to change the jack socket from output to input. Or maybe it's not even designed to be an input. You didn't mention what your hardware is.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

What does `dmesg` (or `journalctl`) say about the device?
deadbang

MMLPQTP

#4 Post by MMLPQTP »

Yes. The thing is that I only have one plug. :? Same for microphone and headphones.

OK. I tried both commands. But there is a lot of information there (sensible, I see). What I am looking for? I don’t think is a good idea to show all my computer’s information :?

What should I share precisely? Any clue?

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MMLPQTP wrote:What I am looking for?
Anything to do with the device in question, or anything relating to the audio stack.

I don't think posting dmesg output here is at all risky.
deadbang

MMLPQTP

#6 Post by MMLPQTP »

~ Deleted ~
Last edited by MMLPQTP on 2019-04-30 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Apologies, I should have told you to open a terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
Or

journalctl -f
And then plug the device and post whatever new messages appear.
deadbang

MMLPQTP

#8 Post by MMLPQTP »

Hi!

Hey, look. When I try that commands, I can see the end of the information, on the Terminal, but not the beginning. So I can't paste that in here. It will be useless, because it will be incomplete.

Do you know how to have all that, complete, to be pasted?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

You should be able to print the output to a file, the file will it all, then you can either copy/paste the contents to here, or upload it to a storage site , like pastebin. You will not be able to attach the file to a post, the forum software does not permit that.
Below a example:

dmesg -w > /home/me/dmesg.txt 
Will print everything in the output, to a file named dmesg.txt, and it will be in the
directory /home/me
Where I used "me", would be the username , for example you, ..
IF you do not specify a directory for the out put, the file will be in the same directory the command was executed in.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MMLPQTP wrote:I can see the end of the information, on the Terminal, but not the beginning
See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=692623#p692623

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept for people to understand...
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Do you not understand what I mean by "new lines"? :?

I will try again: unplug the device, run `dmesg -w` then completely ignore the text that appears, then plug the device in again and only read any new text that appears, it will only be a few lines long.

You really shoul read the man page section about the -w option, I could be telling you to destroy your machine for all you know :roll:
I understand what you are saying here, but when I looked at 'man dmesg', it does not show a -w option, ?

garry% dmesg -w
dmesg: unknown option -- w
usage: dmesg [-s] [-M core] [-N system]

But also mine is not a Debian system, so any way, not really sure if the instruction on how to print the output to a file would apply, or work using the linux -w option, but it still is a good way to get all of the info when the output is so long it fills the screen, goes on to more, only so much can fit on the screen,...
I do understand though, what you are saying, and when the OP plugs in the device, after they have unplugged it, there should be some new lines that appear in the dmesg -w out put, so those would be on the screen, they would be the most recent and last few lines.
Seems pretty clear to me.

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

sd1 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <ADATA, USB Flash Drive, 1100> SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.125fcb100203500203E3
sd1: 14800MB, 512 bytes/sector, 30310400 sectors 
On my system, I all ways have Xconsole open, and it shows the changes there, no need to run dmesg, but any way I did capture the changes, using the print output method, explained earlier, these are the new lines,

sd1 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <ADATA, USB Flash Drive, 1100> SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.125fcb100203500203E3
sd1 detached
scsibus4 detached
umass0 detached 
And when I plug it in again it repeats, what is shown above,

Same as in the xconsole window,..
==== edited ===
Apologize, if this seems off topic, and not related to the OP's problem directly, but it is intended to try to help clarify, what HOAS is trying to say, and the OP said:
Postby MMLPQTP » 2019-02-20 07:12
Hi!

Hey, look. When I try that commands, I can see the end of the information, on the Terminal, but not the beginning.
That is the point, the information at the beginning is not relevant, it is the LAST (most recent) LINES (the text that is at the bottom, and end of the out put) not at the beginning. Have a good dayeveryone :D

MMLPQTP

#13 Post by MMLPQTP »

Hi guys.

Look. I tried all the commands you show me. Some of them I knew. But is normal that most people doesn't know some of them, and if they know them: they don't know all about their options.

So.

This one was useless:

dmesg -w
With or without saving it in a file, nothing new appears when I plug the microphone. The paradigmatic thing is that anyway it keep working like an auricular.

This one:

journalctl -f
Had nothing useful for my case.

About dmesg -w, the unique "last" notifications mentioned are a cellphone, a USB stick, and some stuff. Nothing about a microphone, or auricular. Nothing about "audio input stuff".

Please, understand that some people here speaks english not like their natural language. So, could be not perfect understanding some details on instructions. Also recognize that some details can be interpreted in a few ways.

Over that, also, consider that MAN pages are usually not enough clear, and most of them are even difficult to understand for natural english speakers. Can you imagine what is for non-natural english speakers?

So, don't get mad, be precocious with your words, and be nice always.

I think that the answer to all this problem could be in the options of my hardware. Maybe is not prepared with microphone plug. Something weird, in fact. But maybe true.

I have a last option: try a microphone with USB plug.

I can consider this line as finished.

Thank you all.