Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compatible wifi card for Debian kernel 4.19

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kledder

Compatible wifi card for Debian kernel 4.19

#1 Post by kledder »

I want to build a custom build NAS using OpenMediaVault (OMV) which uses Debian kernel 4.19 (and soon 4.20). I checked the Debian wifi adapter compatibility list but unfortunately (as far as I can see) it lists only old/unavaillable models or chipsets. The hardware interface doesn't matter to me (m.2 (key E), PCI-E, USB) as long as the speed and reception are both good. I want the best wifi NIC availlable (budget: €100). I found some models but they only work in a unofficial matter with kernels greater than 4.2. Which models would you recommend?

P.S.
I know the alternatives such as cabled network, wifi briding. I just need a great wifi card compatible with the current OMV build.

kledder

Re: Compatible wifi card for Debian kernel 4.19

#3 Post by kledder »

arochester wrote:Openmediavault Forum? >>> https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/BoardList/
I just came from there. They say it depends on the Debian kernel. So that's why I ended up here. My topic at OMV forum: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index. ... tID=193874

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kledder wrote:Debian kernel 4.19 (and soon 4.20)
That is not a release kernel.

If OMV are using kernels from testing/unstable then they are not taking advantage of Debian's stable ecosystem.

In respect of your question, check out WikiDevi, they list the kernel version for which support was added for any given device.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2019-01-20 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

It would be great if there was a list based on brand name. This is kind of unrealistic though, because it's not always easy to find out what chipset a brand name uses without installing it. Sometimes you can look them up on the net. There are several good places, like linlap, wikidevi, etc. that keep user maintained pages that are easy to find. wireless.kernel.org is lfinger and those guys, brilliant people who keep wifi working on linux for everybody.

Also, there are sometimes different revisions within a brand or chipset. Someone would have to obtain each device (or several different revisions) on your list and do the research, and post/maintain it.

From the list you posted on the other thread, one forum member said this one definitely works.
TP-link ac1300

What more do you want?

From the other thread you asked, "Can I just intall any Wifi adapter that has Linux drivers?" and I would think that would be a yes. The drivers do not have to be available through the vendor when you buy the card. The modules are in the kernel on the "best" cards, IMO. Some cards (like the TP-link ac1300, which uses broadcom wl) do need modules built as an add-on to the kernel for various reasons, and those I would tend to avoid.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I would avoid USB adapters if you can. The Intel 9000 series work really well and have very good throughput, at least on my laptop and in the reviews for laptops I read before getting it. Here's the mini one I have in my laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-9560NGWG-W ... B07DRNHWKS

and an adapter to use in a desktop: https://www.amazon.com/Fenvi-Express-pc ... 204&sr=8-6

The new kernels have the driver, but you'll also need the latest firmware you can get from Debian.
MX Linux packager and developer

kledder

#7 Post by kledder »

stevepusser wrote:I would avoid USB adapters if you can.
What's wrong with USB adapters?

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

kledder wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I would avoid USB adapters if you can.
What's wrong with USB adapters?
The OP wanted a recommendation for a trouble-free,very fast one, and I would recommend an Intel 9560 for that, which do not come in the USB format. If you look at threads here, you will see that some USB wi-fi devices can be very troublesome to get working. If someone has a recommendation for a good, fast, PCI card, feel free to chime in.
MX Linux packager and developer