Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable a faulty graphics card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
hohenheim

Disable a faulty graphics card

#1 Post by hohenheim »

Hello, :? I dropped my laptop...
The dedicated GC (Geforce 710m) started malfunctioning but it's still detected under windows but it seems to be preventing debian from booting.
I tried reinstalling it without a desktop environment, ran live linux mint,but I can't get past the screen below.
I tried pressing 'e' on the grub menu and ran the command module_blacklist=nouveau... nothing
Tried pressing 'c' and added that command just before 'linux /vm....' command...still nothing.
Any help or lead would be much appreciated guys :|
Attachments
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 4812 times

stevepusser

Re: Disable a faulty graphics card

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Are you saying it works in Windows?
What model is your laptop?
Is an Optimus model with both Intel and Nvidia graphics?

A Live session of Mint or MX Linux will not have to recover a journal, so you must not be really booting to a session of those. Try again and let us know what happens.
MX Linux packager and developer

hohenheim

#3 Post by hohenheim »

Thanks for the reply.
The gc doesn't work on windows, it's detected but can't start. (error code 0 in device manager properties)
So windows and 3d softwares run on the integrated intel HD 4000.
The laptop model is Toshiba satellite A560.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You could try a grml or Arch Linux ISO image, they both boot to a console screen.

Then chroot into Debian, add the blacklist to /etc/modprobe.d/ and regenerate the initramfs.

EDIT: or just boot to a root shell by adding the init=/bin/bash kernel command line parameter then remount the root partition rw and fix things.
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Debian, Mint, and MX Linux should by default show the display using the Intel GPU, unless you've done things in Debian with xorg.conf files. Or the Debian install could be damaged by the drop and emergency shutdown.

Have you managed to boot a Live session yet?
MX Linux packager and developer

hohenheim

#6 Post by hohenheim »

It worked! thankyouuuu
Reinstalled debian with xfce then booted with Grml with a disabled frame buffer (it got stuck otherwise) then followed what Head_on_a_Stick said;
chroot, blacklist the 'nouveau' module in modprobe.d/ and then ran "update-initramfs -u"
Worked like a charm, I can't thank you enough guys :!: You're the best :cry:

sickpig

#7 Post by sickpig »

yes, way better than premium paid support! absolute legends, cheers guys u r pillars of this forum.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

hohenheim wrote:I tried pressing 'e' on the grub menu and ran the command module_blacklist=nouveau... nothing
AFAIK, this command does not exist. Where did you find it ?
The proper action was to add "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" to the kernel command line (beginning with "linux").

The GPU malfunction may be due to damaged solder balls after the shock. You may fix it with a heat gun.