Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Debian

Need help with peripherals or devices?
chibi

Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Debian

#1 Post by chibi »

Hi,
I have Debian on my laptop, so I decided to install it too on my new desktop machine and the problems began.
The CPU is Intel Core i5 4570 with Intel HD Graphics 4600.
Gnome 3 can't run, can't shutdown, can't restart.
After boot, Gnome 3 says that there was a problem and the interface goes Gnome 2.x like.
When I try to reboot or shutdown it stucks on black screen.
As I see in the intel website debian is not officially supported.
I downloaded the source and tryied to compile them for me, but there is an error too...

Code: Select all

checking for INTEL_GRAPHICS_INSTALLER... no
configure: error: Package requirements (                   gtk+-3.0                              gio-2.0                               polkit-gobject-1                      packagekit-glib2 >= 0.5.2                     libsoup-gnome-2.4                     gmodule-2.0       ) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
No package 'gio-2.0' found
No package 'polkit-gobject-1' found
No package 'packagekit-glib2' found
No package 'libsoup-gnome-2.4' found
No package 'gmodule-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables INTEL_GRAPHICS_INSTALLER_CFLAGS
and INTEL_GRAPHICS_INSTALLER_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
I cant'install "gtk+3.0" because of dependency problems...
I have no idea what to do now. :(

docbop

Re: Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Debian

#2 Post by docbop »

Probably need to update or get the driver, have you checked Intel's site to see if they have a driver?

chibi

#3 Post by chibi »

As I said in my first post...

As I see in the intel website debian is not officially supported.
I downloaded the source and tryied to compile them for me, but there is an error too...

configure: error: Package requirements (                   gtk+-3.0                              gio-2.0                               polkit-gobject-1                      packagekit-glib2 >= 0.5.2                     libsoup-gnome-2.4                     gmodule-2.0       ) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
No package 'gio-2.0' found
No package 'gmodule-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables INTEL_GRAPHICS_INSTALLER_CFLAGS
I cant'install "gtk+3.0" because of dependency problems...

I updated my kernel to 3.10 too, but no difference. I'm switching to fedora until debian drivers come.

GaryOma

#4 Post by GaryOma »

got the same problem

M51

#5 Post by M51 »

It works with testing (Jessie).

penguin2233

#6 Post by penguin2233 »

I have the same problem but with a Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device and Ubuntu 11.10. When I run autogen.sh or configure.sh, I get this:

configure: error: Package requirements ( gtk+-3.0 gio-2.0 polkit-gobject-1 packagekit-glib2 >= 0.5.2 libsoup-gnome-2.4 gmodule-2.0 ) were not met:

EDIT:
i was trying to install the GPU drivers but I could only get my hands on the Ubuntu 14.04 drivers. I went to download the drivers so next I went to install them. I had installed gtk+-3.0 package because it said that it needed to. Then the problem started.

BubuXP

#7 Post by BubuXP »

You can find updated intel drivers for Jessie and Sid in the experimental repository.
I build too, approximately every weekend, git snapshots of the intel xf86 driver for Jessie (and Sid). You can find it in my repository (see my signature).

EDIT: there is an updated git-snapshot driver for Wheezy too, but not tested extensively. I update this less frequently than the Jessie driver.
Last edited by BubuXP on 2014-10-27 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

The driver in Wheezy is too old to support your graphics. There is an updated driver package

xserver-xorg-video-intel

in wheezy-backports that is supposed to support Haswell chipsets. I also think it needs the newer DRM in a recent kernel, so you should upgrade to the 3.16 kernel in backports, also.

I don't have the hardware to test this, and have been asking for somebody to verify this--so far, just crickets. Cheep....cheep...cheep
MX Linux packager and developer

dslynch

#9 Post by dslynch »

Sorry to rez this, but I haven't seen much else on the web for support for debian and this driver.

@stevepusser I have an i5-4570 and HD4600 and I'd love to help you verify that, but I'm a little newer and I'm not sure how to install that package, and upgrade the kernel. If you want to give me a brief walkthrough on it I'd love to let you know how it goes.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

See backports.org for instructions to enable the repo. You don't say what your current kernel is (run " uname -r" in a terminal), and that determines what kernel you add from backports. Backports packages have a bpo70+1 tacked onto the version. You may wish to use Synaptic for a simple GUI to make searching the package list much easier.
MX Linux packager and developer

dslynch

#11 Post by dslynch »

So, I added the repos from backports.debian.org, and my kernel version is: 3.2.0-4-amd64

Do I simply just find that package in synaptic and install it?

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dslynch wrote:Do I simply just find that package in synaptic and install it?
Yes, or use:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64
deadbang

dslynch

#13 Post by dslynch »

So I did that, and got this warning:

│ You are running a kernel (version 3.2.0-4-amd64) and attempting to remove the same │
│ version. │
│ │
│ This can make the system unbootable as it will remove /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 and │
│ all modules under the directory /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64. This can only be fixed │
│ with a copy of the kernel image and the corresponding modules. │
│ │
│ It is highly recommended to abort the kernel removal unless you are prepared to fix │
│ the system after removal.

So I aborted. I'm relatively used to linux, but I'm unfamiliar with the kernel and how to fix anything like this so I erred on the side of caution. I'm not sure what this means.

Edit: I'm in the process of setting everything up, so I started adding the jdk for development, and now I'm getting this error, and it prompts me about kernel removal when I attempt to install it. How do I undo what that last command did?

E: linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64: subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I am confused -- installing a new kernel does not remove the old one.

Did you try to remove it using synaptic?

You should always keep the older versions so you can boot back into them if there are any problems.

EDIT: Actually, this might be my fault -- try explicitly installing the generic image from the normal repository and then install the backported kernel by version number (using synaptic would be easiest) rather than the generic image.

# apt-get install linux-image-amd64
Sorry!
deadbang

dslynch

#15 Post by dslynch »

No, all I did was add the resources, update apt-get, and run that install command.

dslynch

#16 Post by dslynch »

So I saw your edit, and I attempted to install that, and I've got some unmet dependencies. I'm going to attempt to fix them.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 : Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.99~) but it is not going to be installed or
                                      linux-initramfs-tool
                             Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Edit: Resolved in synaptic, and I ran the install for linux-image-amd64. Now how should I proceed? Thanks for being helpful and quick with your responses! I'd love if we could get this intel driver working.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dslynch wrote:Thanks for being helpful and quick with your responses!
No need to thank me -- I just nearly wrecked your system!

Use synaptic and search for the highest 3.16 kernel version (with ".bpo" in the name) and install it using synaptic -- this will create a GRUB menu entry for the new kernel when you reboot.

I'm posting this from an i5-4330M & HD4600 so I know this will work :)
deadbang

dslynch

#18 Post by dslynch »

So, I just want to be 100% sure about this, sorry about being overly cautious. I've just never really worked with kernels before. So, this is the proper package I should install, yes?

linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs

Edit: I figured it'd give me the warning, so I went ahead and did it. So I should boot into that kernel now, and then do what? Would it already be set up?
Last edited by dslynch on 2015-01-31 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes that's the one.

You are right to be cautious.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#20 Post by mrkapqa »

I have also a laptop T440P with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

How can i install newer driver on Debian Wheezy - the Intel Graphics Stack Installer is available for Ubuntu 14.04 onwards ...
and adding Jessie-Backports is not an option as it breaks Wheezy packages... i would like to run Wheezy with Gnome 3, thanks