Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Debian

Need help with peripherals or devices?
dslynch

Re: Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Debian

#16 Post by dslynch »

So I saw your edit, and I attempted to install that, and I've got some unmet dependencies. I'm going to attempt to fix them.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 : Depends: initramfs-tools (>= 0.99~) but it is not going to be installed or
                                      linux-initramfs-tool
                             Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 3~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
Edit: Resolved in synaptic, and I ran the install for linux-image-amd64. Now how should I proceed? Thanks for being helpful and quick with your responses! I'd love if we could get this intel driver working.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dslynch wrote:Thanks for being helpful and quick with your responses!
No need to thank me -- I just nearly wrecked your system!

Use synaptic and search for the highest 3.16 kernel version (with ".bpo" in the name) and install it using synaptic -- this will create a GRUB menu entry for the new kernel when you reboot.

I'm posting this from an i5-4330M & HD4600 so I know this will work :)
deadbang

dslynch

#18 Post by dslynch »

So, I just want to be 100% sure about this, sorry about being overly cautious. I've just never really worked with kernels before. So, this is the proper package I should install, yes?

linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs

Edit: I figured it'd give me the warning, so I went ahead and did it. So I should boot into that kernel now, and then do what? Would it already be set up?
Last edited by dslynch on 2015-01-31 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes that's the one.

You are right to be cautious.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#20 Post by mrkapqa »

I have also a laptop T440P with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

How can i install newer driver on Debian Wheezy - the Intel Graphics Stack Installer is available for Ubuntu 14.04 onwards ...
and adding Jessie-Backports is not an option as it breaks Wheezy packages... i would like to run Wheezy with Gnome 3, thanks