Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No USB 3.0. Is this an AMD problem?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
debianneedstuning

No USB 3.0. Is this an AMD problem?

#1 Post by debianneedstuning »

I have two USB 3.0 port on my system, but no matter what is plugged into them, it isn't recognised.
Everything else works on the other USB 2.0 ports.

My inclination is that this is a problem caused by AMD not supplying details.
lspci gives;
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

and

02:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 3483 (rev 01)
Which I know there is a problem with.
Firstly, no amount of update-pciids has fixed that Device 3483 to a VIA VL805 chip.

Also, there are copious listings of the line below on boot up;
[ 19.200008] AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=02:00.0 domain=0x0016 address=0x00000000bea196c0 flags=0010]

Is this some setting I have wrong?
Or do I need to start asking AMD (or VIA) why their chip isn't being listed.

gradinaruvasile

Re: No USB 3.0. Is this an AMD problem?

#2 Post by gradinaruvasile »

What mobo do you have?
If its AM3+, you probably have some non-AMD USB3 chip, put there not by AMD, but the manufacturer of the motherboard (Gigabyte?).
Some search results:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F1 ... e_from_F14
Anyway, you first should try disabling IOMMU from the BIOS, see if it works that way.

debianneedstuning

#3 Post by debianneedstuning »

Thank you. Very precogniscent.
I've already tried the IOMMU disabled stuff with no difference. I had forgotten why I did this.

Sadly, it has been a while since I purchased new computer hardware and I forgot about Gigabyte's attitude to Linux.
I've entered a request for drivers on the e-support site, but am not holding my breath.
Unfortunately at the time I also purchased their version of a Radeon 7790 graphics card and it is flimsy crap(tail droops badly).

Is there any motherboard manufacturer that really supports Linux?
(As opposed to linux jumping hoops to run on their products)

gradinaruvasile

#4 Post by gradinaruvasile »

debianneedstuning wrote: Is there any motherboard manufacturer that really supports Linux?
(As opposed to linux jumping hoops to run on their products)
Its pretty much the same with every manufacturer, we live in a world dominated by a certain other OS. Its the user who has to do some research before.
The thing is to go with chipsets that are known to work. Usually those made by AMD or Intel are well supported. Add on stuff like that VIA may or may not work.
I have a GA-F2A88X-D3H board with AMD A88X chipset that has everything in it - SATA3, USB3 etc. All work with no problems.
Another consideration is the distro and/or the kernel used - some newer boards have some components that are not supported by older distro releases or beccause the kernel is older. Thats because in Linux the hardware drivers are in the kernel. Although sometimes some user space components need upgrading as well, but for things like USB chips only the kernel is responsible.
I for example had to upgrade the kernel for the sound to work properly.

Try adding iommu=pt to the kernel command line for the amd-vi errors which are likely related to the realtec NIC drivers:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=889749
Also, try upgarding the kernel if you have an older one (Debian stable has official backports which have kernel 3.11 or maybe even 3.12).

Linadian

#5 Post by Linadian »

I am having the same problem with my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (AMD X8 FX-8350) Via Technologies USB 3.0 controller (VIA VL805 chip specifically), it's even listed as the same as yours. I just built this beast and strictly run Debian stable (with just a dash of bpo and dmo). I also tried a variety of settings, without IOMMU, the mouse wouldn't work in the 'graphical' Debian Wheezy net install GUI. I'm a little cheesed at Gigabyte and AMD, NOT Debian. I will try the bpo kernel although I prefer to keep my Debian stable as stock as possible. Stay tuned.

Edit: Removed duplicate information mentioned in a later post.
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-10-27 12:37, edited 3 times in total.
Linux Registered User 533946

Linadian

#6 Post by Linadian »

The bad news is kernel 3.16 didn't make a diff (haven't researched deeper yet though), the good news is radeon-hwmon is working in gkrellm now (I'm not using fglrx-driver on purpose, no clear support docs for my R7-250), and my octi-core beast is way faster with 3.16 as opposed to the 3.2 kernel.

Linadian

#7 Post by Linadian »

Via Labs Inc. says the VIA VL805 chip "support various Linux kernels". Really?! Which? Who's? :roll:

Linadian

#8 Post by Linadian »

Major important edit: I'm using the 'legacy BIOS' mode on my motherboard, I hate UEFI and Linux BIOS support has been around for forever. My point is, I'm not sure if my solution will work if YOUR board is in UEFI mode.

I can confirm this works. See my sig for machine specs. I'm doing an effing happy dance right now, my case only has ONE USB 2.0 and ONE USB 3.0 on the front bezel (big blue 3.0 proprietary plug to the mobo from the case bezel), so if I didn't get the 3.0 working, I would have been stuck with only one USB 2.0 port on the front and a dead fish front 3.0 port, ports actually, there's two of them on the back too. Strangest thing though, I had to shut USB 3.0 off (correction: that was by choice so I wouldn't have to look at the page fault error scrolling by) and have IOMMU on to have a working USB keyboard and USB mouse in all the numerous live distros I have laying around, even though they are plugged in to USB 2.0 ports, and for the install, but once the install was over, the fix worked. Phew. :shock: :D

Edit:
To summarize, I had to turn USB 3.0 off and IOMMU on in the BIOS to get Debian installed, did the 'fix' mentioned above before going back in the BIOS to re-enable USB 3.0 and disable IOMMU. Is your head spinning yet? Mine is. :roll:
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-13 07:21, edited 3 times in total.

Linadian

#9 Post by Linadian »

I just had to post some proof, cuz Ima goof, lol.