Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is there any way to reset USB devices?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
DeadlyMuffin

Is there any way to reset USB devices?

#1 Post by DeadlyMuffin »

I'm using many USB devices spread accross several different USB hubs. Occasionally I have a hub drop off the network and need to reboot in order to get it to reconnect. Is there some command I can issue instead of rebooting the machine? The computer gets a lot of traffic and I need ot have it up as much as humanly possible.

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

I assume that you are using a 2.4 series kernel. When using the 2.6 kernel with Udev, sysfs, and hotplug, usb devices are much easier to use. You could configure your usb devices to automatically connect to the same device location when connected according to the device identification information. The should be no need to reboot.

One major problem with the 2.4 kernel and usb devices was the connection to device names.
EG: with the 2.4 kernel, I plug a usb card reader in and it is assigned name /dev/sda. If I unplug the device and plug it back in, sometimes it showed up as /dev/sdb.

-Bob

sensovision

#3 Post by sensovision »

dawgie wrote: You could configure your usb devices to automatically connect to the same device location when connected according to the device identification information.
-Bob
Hi Bob, I suppose it could be done somehow but I'm not sure yet how... can you please tell the way or where to search on how to assign some letter for particular device? (I'm not using Udev but have hotplug)
Denis

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

sensovision wrote: Hi Bob, I suppose it could be done somehow but I'm not sure yet how... can you please tell the way or where to search on how to assign some letter for particular device? (I'm not using Udev but have hotplug)
There is a good "USB Flash Memory HOWTO" here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Flash-Memory- ... x-2.6.html
UDEV is still fairly new and is still evolving. The system now has what is called "smart device naming" so that most USB devices automaticly have a logical name created when they are connected. Eventually, we may no longer need an fstab file.

-Bob

sensovision

#5 Post by sensovision »

thaks Bob! I'll check it out now
Denis

DeadlyMuffin

#6 Post by DeadlyMuffin »

I'm actually using a 2.6 kernel, it's just the generic 2.6 kernel I got through apt.

How can I use udev, sysfs, or hotplug to reload these devices?

dawgie

#7 Post by dawgie »

DeadlyMuffin wrote:I'm actually using a 2.6 kernel, it's just the generic 2.6 kernel I got through apt.

How can I use udev, sysfs, or hotplug to reload these devices?
I did a UDEV how-to here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=259
Also you might want to add additional packages.
Try doing a:
#apt-cache search sysfs
and
# apt-cache search hotplug
to find some other related packages.

-Bob