Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB Keyboard not working (NO BIOS, NO GRUB MENU SELECTION)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bagadbilla

USB Keyboard not working (NO BIOS, NO GRUB MENU SELECTION)

#1 Post by bagadbilla »

I have Debian Jessie 8.0 amd-64 installed. It is a dual boot system with Widnows 8.1 alongside. Both the systems work fine with a few glitches coming at times on jessie. But I assume it should get stabilised with time.

Problem is:

The usb keyboard is no longer detected until the GRUB stage crosses.

* This implies I am unable to press F2 to enter into BIOS
* I am unable to chose Windows 8.1 by using arrow key on the keyboard.

When the default system (first in the grub list), in this case Debian is selected after time runs out then the keyboard comes back to life and works properly thereafter.

So far I have tried the possible solution given at http://www.kasploosh.com/weblog/14000/1 ... board.html but it did not work.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ...

Some Information
================

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)
Release: testing
Codename: jessie

$ uname -r
3.13-1-amd64

Many Thanks
Sid

bagadbilla

Re: USB Keyboard not working (NO BIOS, NO GRUB MENU SELECTIO

#2 Post by bagadbilla »

The problem is now SOLVED ...

it is not an OS issue and was to do with USB support settings in the BIOS. I had to connect a ps2 keyboard to first get into the BIOS and then ensuring the following were set properly.

* check the "legacy usb support" -> was already enabled.

However the bios setting for "Fast Boot" had additional setting for usb support, which was disabled (implying usb will only become available after os loads). Changing it to Partial (usb with keyboard and mouse available) or Full Initialization (Full Support of all usb devices at any time) solved the problem.

It has been currently set to Partial Initialization to get some balance between boot speed and minimal support needed.