Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie server on barebone

Need help with peripherals or devices?
laotzu

Jessie server on barebone

#1 Post by laotzu »

I'm planning to replace my old server, a Core2 quad Q9450, with a new system. In parts to make the transition from OpenVZ to LXC simpler and in parts to build a more energy and space efficient solution. The server hosts services like Squid, apt-cacher-ng, Samba4 AD DC, Bind, DHCP, OpenVPN, postfix, cyrus-imap, cups, a Foswiki instance, a small mySQL database, LAN routing, firewalling, ... nothing really awesome. It's a SOHO solution, with less than 10 concurrent users. The file service has been moved to a NAS already and the asterisk will probably be moved to a customized FritzBox. So my server is pretty much bored. Squid eats most CPU.

I would like to move this system to some energy efficient barebone, such as the Intel NUC. A system with 7W TDP looks tempting. A Shuttle system with 2 Gigabit Ethers and an ePCI slot for another 2 also has its charms. And of course there are many more.

It should be able to work 24/7 with Jessie and a dozen of LXC containers should just do their job. Not sure if the new system will get a kvm for a DMZ system. Most comparisons are about graphics and video transcoding, which I'm not interested in.

Does anyone have experience with these systems and can make a recommendation?

Cheers,
- lars.