Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Appropriate ethernet adapter for a server

Need help with peripherals or devices?
n_hologram

Appropriate ethernet adapter for a server

#1 Post by n_hologram »

I have a system that I'm looking to set-up between my modem and router. In addition to being accessed by a couple computers within the home network, it will also be accessed by two systems OUTSIDE the network -- via VPN -- at any given time.

I'm wondering whether a PCI Express or USB adapter would be appropriate for this setup. From my readings, it seems like PCIe would work better because it can utilize more power. The caveat seems to be that I can only find weird brands (ie, "Tek Republic", "TRENDnet") on hardware websites, although eBay seems to have a nice collection of Intel cards.

I also wanted to see which cards -- and drivers -- work well on Debian. In the past, I ran into an annoying issue with a wireless dongle that absolutely refused to work on Debian. I'd rather not find myself in that situation once again.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

n_hologram

Re: Appropriate ethernet adapter for a server

#2 Post by n_hologram »

My parents have a modem-router combo. For basic use (for two middle-aged people), it suffices. But it wasn't very flexible if I wanted to tinker with it. For my use, I'd prefer to have the two separated.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

n_hologram

Re: Appropriate ethernet adapter for a server

#3 Post by n_hologram »

debianxfce wrote:" if I wanted to tinker with it"

Tplink mr3220 is running linux and you find public source for its firmware. Both Zyxel and Tplink has vpn and many other extra features, so many, that you can spend couple of days just tweaking your modem via web interface.
I may go with this router. I just thought that it would be easier to bridge my current setup to another ethernet adapter since it's already setup anyways. Thanks for the suggestion.