Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia card driver newer than 340.32 can not work properly

Need help with peripherals or devices?
zhiyizhi

nvidia card driver newer than 340.32 can not work properly

#1 Post by zhiyizhi »

I have installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.24.run successfully, and it works well. But recently I found I can not let the nvidia driver works well, which is newer than NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.24.run. My computer is Thinkpad T420, and the nvidia card is
[11/11/2014,00:47:30@/usr/src]$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [Quadro NVS 4200M] [10de:1057] (rev a1)

Actually, when I installed, for example NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.58.run, it said that I have installed it successfully. But when I rebooted my laptop, I found the green icon of NVIDIA is not in then center of the screen any more, but just at the right of the it. And then, a login window appears, but I can not find the input pop-up. Thus, I can not login to the desktop. I am using MATE 1.8, and the debian is Wheezy 7.7. Can anyone help me to let the NVIDIA driver newer than 340.24 work well?

bigrigdriver

Re: nvidia card driver newer than 340.32 can not work prope

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

Installing a proprietary nvidia driver is a two step process.

Step 1. Install the driver, which you have done.

Step 2. Configure the driver, which you have not done.

Boot your computer. When you get to the login screen, press ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a console. Login as root, then run nvidia-xconfig to configure the driver for your graphics card. When complete, type exit and press enter.

Then login as user and type startx and press enter. That should take you back to your login screen. If all went well, you should be able to login without any problems.

If startx doesn't take you back to your login GUI, press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to your GUI.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

zhiyizhi

#3 Post by zhiyizhi »

bigrigdriver wrote:Installing a proprietary nvidia driver is a two step process.

Step 1. Install the driver, which you have done.

Step 2. Configure the driver, which you have not done.

Boot your computer. When you get to the login screen, press ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a console. Login as root, then run nvidia-xconfig to configure the driver for your graphics card. When complete, type exit and press enter.

Then login as user and type startx and press enter. That should take you back to your login screen. If all went well, you should be able to login without any problems.

If startx doesn't take you back to your login GUI, press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to your GUI.
I have tried, but it did not work. I am using lightdm, but the login window do not show up if I installed the nvidia driver newer than 340.32.

zhiyizhi

#4 Post by zhiyizhi »

Today I have installed 340.65 sucessfully, and all the strange things have gone!