Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help installing fglrx legacy.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Cityscape

Help installing fglrx legacy.

#1 Post by Cityscape »

So I have a Radeon HD 4000 series card in my laptop running Debian Wheezy. So I installed the legacy driver and followed the instructions as documented here: https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary# ... egacy_13.1

I rebooted and I just got a blackscreen, the login manager never showed up. So deleted the config fil, rebooted and ran "aticonfig --initial." I rebooted and got the same black screen.

Any idea on how to get the fglrx driver working?

millusions

Re: Help installing fglrx legacy.

#2 Post by millusions »

there's not enough information here to start to guess as to what youve done so far

Cityscape

#3 Post by Cityscape »

millusions wrote:there's not enough information here to start to guess as to what youve done so far
I followed the Debian wiki for fglrx legacy 13.1 to the letter. I posted the link for that.

After that didn't work I ran "aticonfig --initial" which is what AMD recommends. I didn't do anything else.

millusions

#4 Post by millusions »

did the module compile successfully?

is module loaded?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Also, did the initrd file get rebuilt? That's required. It can be forced via

Code: Select all

su -c 'update-initramfs -u -t'
Did the --config command create the xorg.conf fragment file in the subdirectory as per the wiki?

You may also experiment with adding nomodeset to the GRUB kernel boot command line.
MX Linux packager and developer

Cityscape

#6 Post by Cityscape »

millusions wrote:did the module compile successfully?

is module loaded?
Yes it installed successfuly. I'm not sure how to check if it's loaded.
stevepusser wrote:Also, did the initrd file get rebuilt? That's required. It can be forced via

Code: Select all

su -c 'update-initramfs -u -t'
Did the --config command create the xorg.conf fragment file in the subdirectory as per the wiki?

You may also experiment with adding nomodeset to the GRUB kernel boot command line.
I ran that command (update-initramfs -u -t, it didn't allow the "-c" part) to update initrd.

I didn't run a --config command. But when I ran aticonfig it created a new xorg.conf file in /etc/X11.
I also created a 20-fglrx.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (as per this wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Configuration)

I also tried "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"" in /etc/default/grub. And it's still not working.