Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need to force kernel framebuffer to 640x480 [solved]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
soviet9922

Need to force kernel framebuffer to 640x480 [solved]

#1 Post by soviet9922 »

Hello, this is my first post so i like to greet everyone and thank for reading this post.
Some weeks ago i hacked a old NCR all in one computer and installed modern hardware inside it, also installed and old VGA 13" B/W monitor inside (supports 800x600 max)

Then installed debian 7 i386 the installer runs fine, the problem is that after finishing the installation the monitor goes out of sync, the kernel load the i915 module and go out of sync.
So i have to connect another modern monitor and blacklist the i915 module, then get back to the internal VGA monitor.now the system boot fine to the linux console on text mode.
I plan to use this system from text mode (no x windows), the problem i found is that because i blacklisted the i915 module i don't have a /dev/fb0 so the console software i like to run like dosbox or scummvm canno't start because the framebuffer is missing.

What i need is to find a way to force the i915 module to a low resolution (640x480).
This is what i tried.
vga=ask (or other options) this option is completele ignored by the kernel seem to by deprecated
passing grub options to the i915 module like video=VGA-1:1280x800 or modeset=1 also are ignored.

Theres some way to do this ?

Thanks.
Last edited by soviet9922 on 2015-01-22 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

mardybear

Re: Need to force kernel framebuffer to 640x480

#2 Post by mardybear »

I would just keep trying boot options via grub. Doesn't sound like you tried all possible options, for example:

Code: Select all

nomodeset
forcevesa
forcevesa=640x480
forcevesa=640x480x8
Source: http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... ng_options

Could also run lsmod and try blacklisting at boot, example:

blacklist=b43
Or set up an xorg.conf file and specify vesa driver. Just some thoughts.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

mardybear

#3 Post by mardybear »

Just some other thoughts.

When you try booting with a vga=xxx bootcode, i believe the brief deprecated boot message also notes the new command to utilize. If you can't read it fast enough then check out your boot log after attempting to issue a vga=xxx command.

Not sure if Wheezy installs xfbdev by default, but you might want to read up on it:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xserver-xfbdev

Last option, Squeeze still recieves long term support and utilizes an older kernel, which may provide what you need out-of-the-box.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.

soviet9922

#4 Post by soviet9922 »

nomodevesa returns unknown command also vesamode also return the same
vesamode=640x480 do nothing
seems this days linux kernel run on automatic don't like manual shift :roll:

mardybear

#5 Post by mardybear »

These are not the correct commands, did you actually try nomodeset and forcevesa?

Anyway, i believe the deprecated vga=xxx command has now changed to:

set gfxpayload=640x480
Agree, this is tricky business. Also don't forget to investigate Xfbdev (framebuffer). Sorry, unable to provide any more help.

soviet9922

#6 Post by soviet9922 »

Thanks for your reply, im sorry when i say
i was drunk so i confused the commands, after all i solved it using the vesafb module like you suggested worked very nice i can run scummvm from the console and default to 640x480 on the console.

mardybear

#7 Post by mardybear »

Better drunk on a forum than wild in the streets !

Glad you solved it. Feel free to mark the subject line of your initial thread post [solved] to help others.