Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How Compile driver for Laser printer BrotherHL1110 for AMD64

Need help with peripherals or devices?
JohanE

How Compile driver for Laser printer BrotherHL1110 for AMD64

#1 Post by JohanE »

Hi !

I have bought a BrotherHL-1110 laser printer. But there is no driver on my system.
I have downloaded source code but don't understand how to compile it.
(It does only exist driver-packages for 32 bits: hl1110cupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386.deb and hl1110lpr-3.0.1-1.i386.deb)

My system is:
Release 7.8 (wheezy) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64
GNOME 3.4.2
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor × 2

The source code contain the following files:
-> pwd
/home/joe/Desktop/BrotherHL-1110/hl1110cupswrapper-GPL_src-3.0.1-1

-> ls -R
.:
brcupsconfig Copying filter PPD

./brcupsconfig:
brcups_commands.h brcupsconfig.c mk

./filter:
brother_lpdwrapper_HL1110

./PPD:
brother-HL1110-cups-en.ppd
->
----------------------------------------------

How do I compile and install it on my computer ? ( Or get the printer working ? )

harrycaul

Re: How Compile driver for Laser printer BrotherHL1110 for A

#2 Post by harrycaul »

The Linux Mint forum should be of help.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

harrycaul wrote:The Linux Mint forum should be of help.
Because??? The OP doesn't mention anything about Mint.

Johan, it would help if you gave a link to what you downloaded, so others can actually see and poke at what you have. That saves us much time searching for what you are describing.
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

I don't have such a printer so I haven't tried it but maybe, rather than compile from source, simply download the hl1110lpr:i386 deb package/s you mention (available from support.brother.com here)?
To install on amd64:

Code: Select all

# dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update

# apt-get install lib32stdc++6
Change directory to Downloads and install it:

root@desktop:/home/administrator/Downloads# dpkg -i hl1110lpr-3.0.1-1.i386.deb
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

harrycaul

#5 Post by harrycaul »

stevepusser wrote:
harrycaul wrote:The Linux Mint forum should be of help.
Because???
It's the second result for "hl1110 Debian" on Google. There seems to be more printer-specific info there.

JohanE

#6 Post by JohanE »

Here is the deb-packages and the source code:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

--- * ---

Thank you kedaha your suggestion was working.

comert

#7 Post by comert »

JohanE wrote:Here is the deb-packages and the source code:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

--- * ---

Thank you kedaha your suggestion was working.
Thank you for suggestion.
I propose the following link to me on this issue. I'm sure more quickly and effectively.
http://www.brotherdriver.com/brother-hl-1110-driver/

Itom

#8 Post by Itom »

I had trouble with a Brother HL1110. I wiped my Wheezy and did a fresh load of Jessie including loading cups, foomatic and ghostscript. I went to the Brother website, downloaded and ran the linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0.1. It came up with an error message saying:
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5

E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate

I then installed lib32z1 and lib32ncurses5 and ran the installer again. This time it complained it couldn't find lpr so I installed that. Ran the installer once more but it still didn't work. My next step was to go to http://localhost/631. I told it to Search for New Printers. Nothing. I then went to Add Printer. It showed my HL1110 and it actually worked when I finished.
Hopefully this information will help other people who face the same problem. I have been most disappointed with this hassle. I have been running Brother printers with Linux for over 10 years and never had any problem like this before. The older printers were very simple to set up but this one is a pain.

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

A bit late to the party, but I bought a HL-L2340 recently and used the script from brother and although it did give a couple of warnings it was installed and working after the initial run of the script, the only issue I had afterwards was a problem with dpkg reporting an error because I was using an i386 package but had no i386 architecture configured. I had to include that architecture # dpkg --add-architecture i386 and then everything has been fine since.

shep

#10 Post by shep »

If you don't feel like compiling the proprietary driver the printer should be able to use a generic PCL driver.

I have a Brother HL-5450DN and elected not to use Brother's driver because as you mentioned they're all 32-bit. I used the CUPS driver for the 5350DN and it works fine, but AFAIK all reasonably current Brother printers should support at least PCL5.
I checked the manufactuer's web site and OpenPrinting, this particular printer does not support PCL. The HLL -2340 also does not but the HLL-2460WD does. If you are going to buy a printer in linux/BSD, try to get PostScript, or PostScript compatible or PCL5e/PCL6. The PCL drivers are well supported by the ghostscript print drivers.

I have a HL-5450DN which is just a newer version of the HL-5350DN. Both use br_script3 which is a compatible version of Adobe PostScript (Brother does not have to pay royalties to Adobe). In cups, select a ppd that includes br_script3 and you should be good to go at "64-bit". If you use the older lpr printing spooler, you can just send the print job "raw" or filter it through foomatic-rip.