Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ATI HD 5850 drivers crash every time

Need help with peripherals or devices?
shepp

ATI HD 5850 drivers crash every time

#1 Post by shepp »

I installed debian stretch with cinnamon, I logged into it for the first time, It had no hardware acceleration and another driver was missing so I installed linux-firmware-nonfree and firmware-realtek.
After reboot the screen turns black immediately and the entire system fails (keyboard isn't responding to anything).
I've since tried to briefly switch to the proprietary ati driver and after a standard installation followed by aticonfig --initial. It showed the graphical login screen fine but logging in resulted in a blank desktop.
It might be worth mentioning that I've encountered similar problems with other distros that use newer packages.

How can I solve this? I don't care whether the driver is proprietary or not, I just want a working display.