Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

soundblaster 3.1 sarge no sound

Need help with peripherals or devices?
huck_finn

soundblaster 3.1 sarge no sound

#1 Post by huck_finn »

Hi, I'm a newbie to linux and have been really happy with Debian so far.

I just bought a Soundblaster Live 24bit card and installed it. I've got it setup on Windows XP using the SB drivers etc, but cant get it to work on Debian 3.1 Sarge. I've had my 5.1 usb speakers working, but they would only play one sound at a time. I had to use OSS and not ALSA which I understand would play system sounds as well as music etc at the same time which I why I bought the sound card.

I've gone to the ALSA website and installed everything they said to, but when I get to the "alsamixer" command, I get: "No mixer elems found"

If I do an lspci I get: 0000:02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

When I run alsaconf it says no supported PnP or PCI devices found.

I tried the "getting sound to work" from the ubuntu guide thinking that would help, since Ubuntu is Debian based, but that didn't seem to work either.

What else.... I've uninstalled ESD, then found out it wouldn't conflict... I removed and re-installed alsa-utils

I'm going to be updating my hardware with a new CPU and Mobo etc next week or so, so I'll need the soundcard to work but I'm completely lost. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

built_with_love

#2 Post by built_with_love »

well, i suggest that you install a newer kernel image like, for example, the kernel-image-2.6.11-1-386 one. to do that simply:

#apt-get update
#apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.11-1-386

then, you can install the alsa packages:

#apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils

then, run:

#dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
and chosse the 1st option.

to finish:

#alsaconf

and, if you're lucky, it'll detect you soundcard and configure it properly.

that's it! tell us know if you were succesful, ok?

cheers.

EDIT:

i forgot to mention that when you install a kernel-image, it'll add an entry on the grub menu, and you shall boot onto it.

cheers.
Linux user #395650