Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] HP Envy 5642 Printer. Not detected by HPLIP

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jmgibson1981

[SOLVED] HP Envy 5642 Printer. Not detected by HPLIP

#1 Post by jmgibson1981 »

*EDIT* Solution was to point the hp-setup directly to the printers IP address. I'm guessing some kind of bug or change in hplip that I couldn't find documented.

Code: Select all

hp-setup 192.168.1.122
Adjust for your own printers IP address.

Fresh Jessie installation. The hplip package that comes with it doesn't support my printer so I found the only way was to compile the latest myself work that way. The printer works when set up through the cups web interface just fine. However when trying to set it up properly with a terminal "hp-setup" it never seems able to detect the printer, like it doesn't even exist. I have tried on the latest Kubuntu, a live boot of Ubuntu (both 15.10 with a high enough hplip version to run the printer) and neither of them could see it either. Also same results on an Arch installation. I have tried direct usb connection, and my preferred setup over the network. Nothing I've tried makes the printer visible. There is nothing in the logs except

Nov  3 16:06:05 failbox hp-setup: hp-setup[3473]: error: No devices found on bus: usb
and

Nov  4 08:03:32 failbox hp-setup: hp-setup[7185]: error: No devices found on bus: net
What would cause a printer to be invisible to hp-setup when cups can see it just fine?

I can print just fine however without being able to set it up through hp-setup the scanner functionality doesn't work, rather I haven't found how to get it yet without going through hp-setup. Would appreciate suggestions or ideas as this printer is quickly becoming a large paperweight :/ I bought it mainly for scanning...