Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dell T5400 Fan Controller and Temp Sensors

Need help with peripherals or devices?
minifrindge

Dell T5400 Fan Controller and Temp Sensors

#1 Post by minifrindge »

I recently assembled a Dell T5400 workstation. I'm getting some strange issues with this machine concerning fan controller.
  • -Only 2/4 motherboard fans are detected. All fans have RPM signal
    -The only sensors that are reporting temperatures are for the memory modules,graphic card and disk but not from my Intel CPU's. This chip reports memory module temperatures as they tend to get pretty hot (DDR2-FBDIMM).
    -Every time a fan speed gets reported with sensors command the bus freezes for a moment. Videos playback and audio chops for a moment and continue normally.
After removing module dell_smm_hwmon the sensors command executed without interrupting multimedia flow but no fan speeds were reported also.
As a temp solution I blacklisted the dell_smm_hwmon module and I solved the high fan noise problems and the bus freeze.

As it turns out i8k module for fan control is very buggy for some DELL models. Can I manually configure it somehow to work?

So to sum up the problems my problems are:
  • No CPU temperatures reporting.
    2 Fans Speed and PWM controller info missing, and freezing the bus when probing to get speeds from those identified (dell_smm_hwmon module issues).

The object is to get fancontrol working in my setup.

It is my first hardware problem in my 2 years experience with Linux and Debian so any help to debug such issues would be appreciated.

I run debian testing with kernel 4.2.0-1-amd64.