Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB Microphone Works with Audacity but not on the Web

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Mattthumper

USB Microphone Works with Audacity but not on the Web

#1 Post by Mattthumper »

Hi,

I recently got my USB microphone working with Audacity under:
Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u1 (2015-12-14) i686 GNU/Linux

What I'd like to do is use that same microphone at the following Google/Chrome link in order to convert speech to text (mostly for the purposes of automating my note-taking process.):
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/demos/speech.html

But the the microphone is never recognized, so nothing happens.
(And, BTW, the same microphone works fine on that same link/site when I'm using my Windoze box instead of the Linux machine.)

Here's further information:
My mic (from lsusb) - Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller

Audacity Devices - Host: ALSA; Playback Device: default; Recording: USB PnP Sound Device: Audio (hw:1,0): Mic:0; Channels: 1 (Mono)

Audacity Recording - Overdub (checked); Latency: Audio to buffer: 100; Latency correction: -130; Sound Activation Recording (checked); Sound Activation Level -50

Audacity Quality - Default Sample Rate: 44100 Hz; Real-time Conversion Default Sample Format: 32-bit float; Sample Rate Converter: Medium Quality; Dither: None;
High-quality Conversion Sample Rate Converter: Best Quality (Slowest) Dither: Shaped

How do I get the microphone to be recognized by my Google-Chrome browser?
TIA, Matt