Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing NVIDIA drivers. ERROR: No 32 bit compatibility

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Saturnize

Installing NVIDIA drivers. ERROR: No 32 bit compatibility

#1 Post by Saturnize »

Hello everyone. I am trying to install some NVIDIA drivers on my machine. I went through the process and got this message:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Unable to find a suitable destination to install 32-bit compatibility libraries. Your system may not be set up for 32-bit compatibility. 32-bit compatibility files will not be installed; if you wish to install them, re-run the installation and set a valid directory with the --compat32-libdir option.
After a few net searches, I found this page.

http://www.debian-administration.org/ar ... _GNU/Linux

Where in I ran this in the terminal to create the 32-bit document tree.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate.

I really just want to get these NVIDIA drivers up and running. Please help! I already installed and updated the headers to just be able to half-way install the drivers (the second monitor works now).

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installing NVIDIA drivers. ERROR: No 32 bit compatibilit

#2 Post by Hallvor »

It looks like you are trying to install ia32 means Itanium. It is NOT Intel 32 bit.

Secondly: Do not install proprietary drivers from the web. Use the repositories:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Please post the terminal/console output of

lspci -nn | grep VGA

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
and

cat /etc/issue
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

oldtechaa

#3 Post by oldtechaa »

You should not need the 32-bit libraries anyway on a 64-bit system. If it gives an option to continue, do so.
Check out SeekMIDI, a simple, lightweight MIDI sequencer at https://github.com/oldtechaa/seekmidi/!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It looks like you are trying to install ia32 means Itanium. It is NOT Intel 32 bit.
You are dead wrong there, sorry; ia32-libs were a set of 32-bit x86 libraries meant for installation on the amd64 platform on older versions of Debian, before multiarch took over that functionality.
You should not need the 32-bit libraries anyway on a 64-bit system. If it gives an option to continue, do so.
Unless you need to run some 32-bit only program that uses openGL acceleration, such as games in Steam.
It's good advice to install the Nvidia drivers and libraries from the non-free repository, that way the 32-bit openGL libraries can be installed from the repository onto 64-bit. The wiki entry for Steam shows how to do this correctly for Nvidia drivers: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

Do not skip any steps, tempting as it may be to do so.
MX Linux packager and developer

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Ooops... I was thinking of IA-64. :oops:
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Hallvor wrote:Ooops... I was thinking of IA-64. :oops:
Well, they are in the past anyway, but unfortunately people will dig up old guides (from 2007!!) on the web. :?

oldtechaa

#7 Post by oldtechaa »

@stevepusser,

I definitely agree that the drivers should be installed from the repos. However, I have used the NVidia script before and it will not install the 32-bit libraries using the script, so unless the user installs from the repo, they would have to skip the step. All in all, there were a lot of problems with using the script on Debian, which is why I would definitely recommend installing from non-free.
Check out SeekMIDI, a simple, lightweight MIDI sequencer at https://github.com/oldtechaa/seekmidi/!

fabrixx

#8 Post by fabrixx »

Also I have this problem.
I have several installed driver and 32bit libs but today have this error.
Nvidia installer is more updated then packaged.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I am sorry, but this is a bit unclear:
I have several installed driver and 32bit libs but today have this error.
Can you tell more about your system and graphics card, plus exactly how the Nvidia driver and 32bit libs were installed?