Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED New Desktop/Old Hard Drive/No More CDROM/DVD

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Mattthumper

SOLVED New Desktop/Old Hard Drive/No More CDROM/DVD

#1 Post by Mattthumper »

UPDATE:
The CDROM/DVD drive in the new computer was defective.
Everything is working now.

Hi,
My ancient Dell desktop finally kicked the bucket but the hard drive was relatively new (less than a year old).
So I replaced that old desktop with a new desktop (not Dell this time) and decided to just plug in the old hard drive - to see what happens.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised when Debian booted up and executed as normal (ok then, ALMOST normal)!

The problem is that the CDROM/DVD-RW is not recognized.
For example, I have an audio CD in it, but neither file managers or multimedia players can see it (where 'it' is either the CD itself or the CDROM device).

I've tried GUI applications like mplayer, kplayer, Vlc, dolphin, pcmanfm; and I've tried the command line as well (bash).

Short of doing a complete reinstall of Debian, is there a way to get it to recognize this 'new' hardware?

TIA, Matt