Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GM45 Intel (Not Hardware VA?)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bester69

GM45 Intel (Not Hardware VA?)

#1 Post by bester69 »

I think VAAPI and VDPAU doesnt do anything for GM45, (it doesnt have hardware decoding acceleration,just hardware decoding)

I unlocked VAProfilesH264's as you can see below
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) GM45 Express Chipset - 1.4.1.pre1 (1.3.2-72-g2b002e2)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD

and it worked with 1080p x264 videos, they stop lagging with software decoding, then i tried with hardware decoding so i tried vaapi and vdpau:
GM45 does not support vdpau
and VAAPI doesnt accelerate, it just discharge the GPU, which is just ok in case you are using much cpu and you want to play an HD movie.

Even so, vaapi doesnt work propertly with most of the players (at least in my low 1G CPU), i tried them with 1080p h264 movies with the following results:
- mpv get some litle lag
- kodi more lag than mpv
- Just vlc seems work perfect with VAAPI

to play by using VAAPI:
mpv (hwdec=vaapi vo=vaapi)
vlc (avcodec-hw=vaapi)
they seem to play even better with software decoding..what confirms me this chipset doesnt support hardware VA. :?

I dont know if GM45 will be able to play HEVC profiles or this chipset cant do anything more..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

gradinaruvasile

Re: GM45 Intel (Not Hardware VA?)

#2 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I too have a laptop with low power intel core solo cpu with G45 chipset. Its crap compared to anything out there nowadays.
I compiled the driver for it and i had the h264 profiles activated but using it stutters. I have no use for this CPU as it cannot play high res anything

Bottom line: its an ancient and crap chipset, not worth bothering with.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

gradinaruvasile wrote:I too have a laptop with low power intel core solo cpu with G45 chipset. Its crap compared to anything out there nowadays.
I compiled the driver for it and i had the h264 profiles activated but using it stutters. I have no use for this CPU as it cannot play high res anything

Bottom line: its an ancient and crap chipset, not worth bothering with.
poor ancient people, we should take care of them, lets give them a last chance in its last days.. :lol:

sorry, indeed i can play fairly x/h264 1080p movies, ive been doing it without lag.
- my CPU is 1G single core 64 bits

but i did some tweaks that read before to boost performance:
- Disable vertical sync for glxgears:
$> vblank_mode=0 glxgears --> you must get between 700 -1000 FPS

- And add the following line to Xorg.conf:
Option "SwapbuffersWait" "false"

- Create a 20-intel.conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "SwapbuffersWait" "false"
EndSection
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bobbib

#4 Post by bobbib »

bester69 wrote:I think VAAPI and VDPAU doesnt do anything for GM45, (it doesnt have hardware decoding acceleration,just hardware decoding)
What's the difference between "hardware decoding acceleration" and plain "hardware decoding" (in your understanding)? :)

elpraga

#5 Post by elpraga »

@bester69 Could you please give me a hint how to enable H264 on GM45? You mention in your first post that you've enabled it. I was trying to find out how to do it, but I wasn't successful.

Thank you!

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Wasn't there some program floating around that allowed the user to raise the clock speed of that GPU? Intel had it set way low in many machines to get better battery life.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

^ you mean gmabooster?
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4830- ... linux.html

but i don't think it has anything to do with the last question?

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

elpraga wrote:@bester69 Could you please give me a hint how to enable H264 on GM45? You mention in your first post that you've enabled it. I was trying to find out how to do it, but I wasn't successful.

Thank you!
I think recentlly libva libraries include by default h264 support for gm45, even thought vainfo doesnt show it.

See mine; vaainfo shows:
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.3)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) GM45 Express Chipset - 1.7.3
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
--->And it can play h264 Profiles :o

There was a branch named gm45-h264 that was giving support to h264,but it was merged recentlly with official debian development branch. So if you're up to date, you should be able to play h264 movies in gm45 without any problem.

Kodi works great with vdpau acceleration and 1080p/720p x264 movies, mpv also works great with hd movies in gm45. As for VAAPI, in our gm45 it just discharge the CPU, but it doesnt give you any acceleration at all, so you just dont need to apply it, i have it disabled it in kodi, cos it give me some lag with 1080p movies.

ForGM45, this!!
- Create a 20-intel.conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

regards

elpraga

#9 Post by elpraga »

Thank you for your reply @bester69 !

I did some more digging and I found https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libv ... -g45-h264/ for Arch and in there https://bitbucket.org/alium/g45-h264/do ... 8.1.tar.gz. I decided to trust the link because I suppose it is the default option for Arch.

After compiling libva, vainfo does list the H.264 profiles and I am able to use them. I do run into issues when using mpv (it gives me back screen when using vaapi, they talk about this issue in the discussion at the bottom of the page in the first link).

It is strange what you're saying about the profiles being used even though not listed. I am able to see a notable decrease in the CPU usage when using my compiled version of libva and vaapi (around 15%-20%). I assume (maybe incorectly?) that it will also mean a longer battery life.

I will definitely try the "sna" acceleration method for X, but can you tell me what benefits it will have on GM45? Mainly for curiosity, I know nothing about acceleration methods for X (apart from that they exist)..

Thanks a lot again for your reply!

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elpraga wrote:I will definitely try the "sna" acceleration method for X, but can you tell me what benefits it will have on GM45?
The default UXA acceleration method is very old indeed, SNA offers much better performance even with old hardware.

These benchmarks are from Ubuntu but the version numbers are similar to Debian jessie (albeit with the backported stack):

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 1404&num=1
deadbang

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

elpraga wrote:Thank you for your reply @bester69 !

I did some more digging and I found https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libv ... -g45-h264/ for Arch and in there https://bitbucket.org/alium/g45-h264/do ... 8.1.tar.gz. I decided to trust the link because I suppose it is the default option for Arch.

After compiling libva, vainfo does list the H.264 profiles and I am able to use them. I do run into issues when using mpv (it gives me back screen when using vaapi, they talk about this issue in the discussion at the bottom of the page in the first link).

It is strange what you're saying about the profiles being used even though not listed. I am able to see a notable decrease in the CPU usage when using my compiled version of libva and vaapi (around 15%-20%). I assume (maybe incorectly?) that it will also mean a longer battery life.

I will definitely try the "sna" acceleration method for X, but can you tell me what benefits it will have on GM45? Mainly for curiosity, I know nothing about acceleration methods for X (apart from that they exist)..

Thanks a lot again for your reply!
I wouldnt do that, thas experimental I think, last branch include GM45:
Merged branch g45-h264 with origin/master from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/intel-driver
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/g45h264/)

It doesnt matter if you dont see h265 profiles in vainfo, GM45 cant implement acceleration (its a hardware restriction) thats the reason, that chipset does not support acceleration. It just discharge some main CPU workload to use in gm45's chipset, but does not give you any more CPU performance. So you wont have any gain with h265 vaapi profiles but discharging some CPU workload. Anyways you dont need it to build that anymore i think as gm45-h264 was merged, so even when you dont see it (cos its not a truth accelration), you can use vaapi if you wish it with the same effects (CPU discharge).

i think this is like that, but i might be wrong im not a expert.. :shock: regards.

I use "sna" acceleration just cos in our chipset you get tears with 1080p movies, and "sna" its the only method that supports "TearsFree" option.