Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(usually) no sound on Debian

Need help with peripherals or devices?
shadowfreud

(usually) no sound on Debian

#1 Post by shadowfreud »

So my Debian dual boot has this weird problem where all of a sudden, the audio jack sometimes doesn't work properly. After plugging headphones in, it seems to detect another audio device and mutes the speakers, as expected and desired. However, no sound plays through headphones. Upon disconnection of headphones, speakers begin playing again. The only thing is it fails to play audio through actual headphones (my headphones are fine I use them with my phone every day, no problem there). Also, I know it's not a physical connector issue cause the jack never fails when I boot into Windows...

I checked alsamixer, and everything seems to be fine. Headphone and speaker individual volume controls are maxed out and the main controls are set at a reasonable number:
https://gyazo.com/381a212a22bc65663174bea84353268e

Output for aplay -l :
https://gyazo.com/35711b6d005d689e71d6f13c1dd4e8df

The weirdest part isn't that the jack doesn't work, but that it used to work fine, and then it just stopped working, but then sometimes when I boot into it again it works. Then I boot into it again and maybe it doesn't work. I can't wrap my head around it...

help? :/ thanks

shadowfreud

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: (usually) no sound on Debian

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

shadowfreud wrote:Headphone and speaker individual volume controls are maxed out and the main controls are set at a reasonable number:
https://gyazo.com/381a212a22bc65663174bea84353268e=
You are aware that the posted screenshot show that all of the outputs are muted, right?

Perhaps try un-muting them...

Do you also experience this problem in the live environment?

An intermittent fault would suggest hardware failure -- perhaps a dry joint on your motherboard?
deadbang

shadowfreud

#3 Post by shadowfreud »

No it's not muted, the master control is at 20, and the headphones and speakers are both at 100. The auto-mute switch doesn't do anything, I tested it before. the PCM and mic stuff don't have anything to do with playback

tynman

#4 Post by tynman »

No it's not muted, the master control is at 20, and the headphones and speakers are both at 100.
But the "MM" right below the levels means "MUTED". (The m-key can be used to toggle mute/un-mute.)

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

No it's not muted,
Then why does the screen shot show it to be muted ?
But the "MM" right below the levels means "MUTED". (The m-key can be used to toggle mute/un-mute.)
It does not matter what the volume settings are, if it is muted, it is muted. Like in "off".
the master control is at 20, and the headphones and speakers are both at 1
If and when you un mute it, as suggested,... the other settings will still be the same.
20 and 100.
Same , if have the volume, at 100, (Way to loud), and the music is playing,
but I select the "mute" button, (The m-key can be used to toggle mute/un-mute.)
The sound will stop, cause I muted it, (shut it off), that has nothing to do with how
high or low the volume is set at.

shadowfreud

#6 Post by shadowfreud »

alright, so for a while my Debian sound randomly started working again, so I didn't bother posting a reply, but today it all of a sudden fails once more. I went into alsamixer and this time unmuted everything, but it's still not working:

https://gyazo.com/bbdae6dbec79f01f47780ef67d13fe95

:/

Danielsan

#7 Post by Danielsan »

Did you raise the master? :mrgreen:

shadowfreud

#8 Post by shadowfreud »

Yeah the master is at 20. I'm in a quiet room, so if there were any sound I'd definitely be able to hear it -.-"