Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel i5 idles at 500mhz on AC and 800mhz on battery

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gi1242

Intel i5 idles at 500mhz on AC and 800mhz on battery

#1 Post by gi1242 »

Hi All,

I have an X1 Yoga with an Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, running Debian/testing on a 4.6.0-1-amd64 kernel using the intel_pstate driver.
I notice it idles at 500Mhz when plugged in, and 800Mhz on battery. (No typo! You read that right.)

I stopped laptop-mode-tools from adjusting CPU frequency scaling or the intel_pstate settings (via CONTROL_CPU_FREQUENCY=0 and CONTROL_INTEL_PSTATE="0"). So on both AC and on battery I have:

Code: Select all

$ head /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/*
==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/max_perf_pct <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/min_perf_pct <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/num_pstates <==

==> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/turbo_pct <==
In particular, no_turbo is 0 on both AC and on battery. But the CPU idle frequency in both cases is different. And backwards if you ask me... I would have guessed that idling at 500MHz consumes less battery than idling at 800MHz. (Of course, under load it jumps up to a higher frequency on both AC and battery, so I have no performance issues; I just wonder if I'm wasting more battery than I should because I mis-configured it...)

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

bw123

Re: Intel i5 idles at 500mhz on AC and 800mhz on battery

#2 Post by bw123 »

gi1242 wrote: I would have guessed that idling at 500MHz consumes less battery than idling at 800MHz. (Of course, under load it jumps up to a higher frequency on both AC and battery, so I have no performance issues; I just wonder if I'm wasting more battery than I should because I mis-configured it...)

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know for sure, but could it be that there are other reasons to idle at the higher speed on battery? Like stability? I wouldn't think that difference is going to mean an awful lot. I'm not sure how you configured it, but that looks like a reasonable setup to me.

Sounds like a very nice machine, I've seen a couple of those.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

gi1242

#3 Post by gi1242 »

bw123 wrote:I don't know for sure, but could it be that there are other reasons to idle at the higher speed on battery? Like stability?
Really? I'm very curious about this. I know that it isn't always optimal to keep your CPU on the lowest frequency on battery, since there's a trade off: Use a higher powered state, but for shorter time and idle longer; or use the low powered state for longer time and idle less.

I assumed high frequency translates to high power...
bw123 wrote:I wouldn't think that difference is going to mean an awful lot. I'm not sure how you configured it, but that looks like a reasonable setup to me.
You're certainly right about this. I get some 12+ hours on battery in my use cases. (Drops down if I do something CPU intensive, but given that I use fvwm and vim most of the time, the CPU stays at 800mhz most of the time...)

Thanks!

GI

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Have you tried fiddling around with tlp instead of laptop-tools? It's in the testing repo. It's not in jessie-backports, but the Stretch package (just a bunch of scripts) turns out to be safe to install in Jessie, or easy to backport yourself.
MX Linux packager and developer