Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB digital camera

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Quinten

USB digital camera

#1 Post by Quinten »

Hello people,

Let me introduce myself: I'm Quinten Frenks, Iive in Berlin (Germany),and I'm intrested in linux for about 6 months now, so I'm what you would call a newbee.

Sonow that you know that I'm a newbee I will ask a newbee question:
I have a digital camera (usb) and I'm used to MS-Win*** what saw the camera inmidiatly after connenting it to the PC.
What must I do to open the pictures on the digitalcamera on a linux machine?

Danke!

chimaera

#2 Post by chimaera »

hi quiten,

the way you can access the pictures depends on the camera.. normally there are two ways:

- usb mass-storage (no special software needed, just the appropriate kernel-modules). this is the case if your camera shows up as normal drive.

- special protocol. in this case gphoto2 [1] is the way to go. please check the very extensive docs their homepage. they have a very good chapter on installing and a huge compatability list.

[1] http://www.gphoto.org

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

Of course, gphoto is available as debian package, so install the debian package (gphoto2) rather than doing it the hard way and compiling it from source.

chimaera

#4 Post by chimaera »

i was more refering to setting up the camera using hotplug than installing the software itself ;)

moonlight

#5 Post by moonlight »

The following command can be used to detect what kind of camera is connected via the USB interface :

As root :

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/syslog
A few examples of such an output :

-- Digital camera : HP PhotoSmart 318
Apr 4 21:37:12 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 8
Apr 4 21:37:13 localhost usb.agent[6972]: libgphoto2: loaded successfully
-- Digital camera : Canon Digital Ixus 50 (also called Canon Powershot SD400)
May 28 17:12:44 localhost kernel: usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 4
May 28 17:12:49 localhost kernel: usb 5-1: new high speed USB device using address 5
May 28 17:12:50 localhost usb.agent[6116]: libgphoto2: loaded successfully
In this example it's clear that the camera is using the specific protocol, called 'gphoto2', the gphoto2 digital camera command-line client, which can be used by applications to access various digital camera models. An additional interesting packet, gtkam, GTK+ application for digital still cameras gtkam is a graphical application based on GTK+ for digital still cameras supported by gphoto2. (http://www.gphoto.org/)

This package provide the gphoto2 command-line frontend.

In order to install 'gphoto2' :

apt-get install gphoto2
In order to install 'gtkam' :

apt-get install gtkam
You can use now or gphoto2 (command line) or gtkam (graphical interface).

In order to verify if your camera is detected correctly, you can execute :

gphoto2 --auto-detect
A few examples of such an output :

-- Digital camera : HP PhotoSmart 318
Model Port
----------------------------------------------------------
HP PhotoSmart 318 (PTP mode) usb:
HP PhotoSmart 318 (PTP mode) usb:002,008
-- Digital camera : Canon Digital Ixus 50 (also called Canon Powershot SD400)
Model Port
USB PTP Class Camera usb:
laptop:~#
In fact the last one isn't yet in the official list of supported camera's, but the behaviour is anyhow perfect.

For the command line application gphoto2 I refer to it's self explaining man page, the graphical application gtkam is completely self explaining, including picture preview, etc.

Remark : without any change, those applications should be started as root. In order to launch the programs as a normal user, you have to update the group settings (adding the preferred usernames to the camera group).
laptop:~#cat /etc/group
camera:x:107:username1,username2

Cheers, Moonlight

ps. for viewing the pictures after uploading them to your Linux machine, a number of programs are available, my favorite one is currently gThumb Image viewer (available in Debian : apt-get install gThumb)

moonlight

#6 Post by moonlight »

An addition on my previous posting :

With the current version available in the Debian Testing distribution, version 2.1.6-1 of libgphoto2-2, the package used by different applications to access various
digital camera models, also the Canon Ixus 50 is supported.
laptop:~# gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model Port
Canon Digital IXUS 50 (PTP mode) usb:
Canon Digital IXUS 50 (PTP mode) usb:005,003
laptop:~#
Cheers, Moonlight