Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iphone 5s in Debian Jessie

Need help with peripherals or devices?
milik12

Iphone 5s in Debian Jessie

#1 Post by milik12 »

Hello all :) I try to mount my device in Jessie as sugest here:
https://wiki.debian.org/iPhone but that did'nt work corectly. I have some errors:

Code: Select all

milik@irin:~$ ./mount-iphone.sh mount
Error while mounting position: Unable to connect
iphone mount failed
milik@irin:~$ 
and

milik@irin:~$ ./mount-iphone.sh 
8dc01bd720c3fdd85a8b2735984130bb85217435 is not mounted
milik@irin:~$ idevicepair unpair && idevicepair pair
ERROR: Device 8dc01bd720c3fdd85a8b2735984130bb85217435 is not paired with this host
milik@irin:~$
Any ideas....?

RU55EL

Re: Iphone 5s in Debian Jessie

#3 Post by RU55EL »

Before I upgraded to iOS 10, I could browse the pictures and documents directories simply by plugging in to the USB port. It was very handy for taking photos and transferring them my notebook computer. But, after upgrading my 5s to iOS 10, I get just get an "iPhone" directory but no access when I click on it.

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

RU55EL wrote:Before I upgraded to iOS 10, I could browse the pictures and documents directories simply by plugging in to the USB port. It was very handy for taking photos and transferring them my notebook computer. But, after upgrading my 5s to iOS 10, I get just get an "iPhone" directory but no access when I click on it.
On Debian Testing, I can browse the photos on an iPhone SE running iOS 10.0.2, just like I could using iOS 9. Actually, this mount is tidier, for it only shows the camera directory (DCIM) and not other useless directories. An old iPhone 4S also mounts without issues, but iOS 9 is the latest version that it can run.

I know that the iPhone SE is actually a smaller 6S, but I mention this because there might be a setting on your phone messing with the mounting on Debian.

milik12

#5 Post by milik12 »

emariz wrote:
RU55EL wrote:Before I upgraded to iOS 10, I could browse the pictures and documents directories simply by plugging in to the USB port. It was very handy for taking photos and transferring them my notebook computer. But, after upgrading my 5s to iOS 10, I get just get an "iPhone" directory but no access when I click on it.
On Debian Testing, I can browse the photos on an iPhone SE running iOS 10.0.2, just like I could using iOS 9. Actually, this mount is tidier, for it only shows the camera directory (DCIM) and not other useless directories. An old iPhone 4S also mounts without issues, but iOS 9 is the latest version that it can run.

I know that the iPhone SE is actually a smaller 6S, but I mention this because there might be a setting on your phone messing with the mounting on Debian.
So could You help me how to connect my Iphone? I need only to transfer my photo from Iphone to my laptop.

RU55EL

#6 Post by RU55EL »

I use a simple work around. If I want photos from my iphone, I just upload them to google drive from the iphone. Then I can access them from just about any internet connected computer, phone, or tablet. My 5s is a work provided cell phone...and it's proprietary nature sucks. My personal cell phone is android, much easier to use, at least for me.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

Or, you can also send photos over wifi on local network. Skip extra google step. Your wifi likely will be faster than you internet connection to google anyway.

milik12

#8 Post by milik12 »

pylkko wrote:Or, you can also send photos over wifi on local network. Skip extra google step. Your wifi likely will be faster than you internet connection to google anyway.
I have to install some programs to transfer fotos between devices?

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

milik12 wrote:
pylkko wrote:Or, you can also send photos over wifi on local network. Skip extra google step. Your wifi likely will be faster than you internet connection to google anyway.
I have to install some programs to transfer fotos between devices?
It kind of depends on what kind of network you have. Let's assume that you have a router/wifi/LAN and a computer and a phone. In that case you can use for example Samba or ftp. With samba you make a share on your computer. Then install for example ES File Explorer File Manager on the phone, which is a file manager, but it supports samba straight out of the box. Now sending photos is as easy as copying them from folder A to folder B on your phone. I think ES FM is available on IOS, but not sure since do not have iphone.

Another way is to use an app that creates an ftp server temporarily on your phone. Then you can donwload the photos with a web browser or some ftp client.

However, there are likely many other ways. Some apps give ssh, then you can sftp. Netcat might be a possibility on some phones. Nautilus supports Apple Talk

If your network has a NAS then you can send stuff there. MAny modern routers allow you to share a usb stick or drive. Then you can send your stuff from your phone there.

If you don't have a router at all and are relying on mobile broad band, then you need to look into creating an acces point or some of the other direct non router wifi methods.

Using wifi is usually more managable, faster and easier than bluetooth and I for one don't like having extra cables around. And what if you want to send the photos to many computers, then wifi clearly wins.

EDIT: I used to advocate using ES file manager, but as it has grown and become bloated offering "system scans" and what not, I ahve found that a much nicer application is the open source Amaze. It can do ftp and samba.
Last edited by pylkko on 2017-05-29 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

RU55EL

#10 Post by RU55EL »

I have my desktop set to sync with Google drive, and my iphone configured with the cellular data off and the wifi on. Then, I take a photo, choose the upload icon, select Google drive. The photo takes about three seconds to upload and I can immediately set down the phone and access the photograph on the computer...it syncs that fast.

Anyway, it works for me.

pylkko

#11 Post by pylkko »

RU55EL wrote:
I have my desktop set to sync with Google drive, and my iphone configured with the cellular data off and the wifi on. Then, I take a photo, choose the upload icon, select Google drive. The photo takes about three seconds to upload and I can immediately set down the phone and access the photograph on the computer...it syncs that fast.

Anyway, it works for me.
I also have that, that is google drives in my nautilus. However, 1) I really don't want to send all my data to google even though I maybe am not as paranoid as many others out there.. and 2) one photo may go over in a few seconds, but a lot of people have slow internet connections and if you want send a lot of stuff then (like all your photos or a large video) it might be painfully slow. I once sent a GB of photos (tar) to google drive on adsl (where the max upload is 1 Mbps) - took over 2 hours... on LAN my phone gets a 433 Mbps link (theoretical, of course, one-antenna STA, 80 MHz), so the transfer would be over in less than a minute.

milik12

#12 Post by milik12 »

It's not possible to acces photos from application installed on phone. In my case, ofcourse. :( Same like ftp server on my Iphone.

custard

#13 Post by custard »

emariz wrote:
My guess would be that this is because Testing and Jessie are running different versions of libimobiledevice. Version 1.1.6 in Jessie predates ios10 and 1.2 in Testing is listed as supporting it.

Unfortunately, I've got no idea if backports into stable are possible or how getting that to happen works. RU55EL, maybe you could find out how that works and ask?

RU55EL

#14 Post by RU55EL »

Interesting...

At the moment, I am using a notebook computer running Fedora. It has version 1.2 installed, but reacts just like Debian Jessie when I plug in my iPhone 5S. It shows the phone, but no success accessing anything on the phone over USB.

[russel@k55a Downloads]$ dnf info libimobiledevice
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:28 ago on Tue Nov 22 09:56:02 2016.
Installed Packages
Name        : libimobiledevice
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 0
Version     : 1.2.0
Release     : 7.fc24
Size        : 167 k
Repo        : @System
From repo   : koji-override-0
Summary     : Library for connecting to mobile devices
URL         : http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : libimobiledevice is a library for connecting to mobile devices including phones
            : and music players

Available Packages
Name        : libimobiledevice
Arch        : i686
Epoch       : 0
Version     : 1.2.0
Release     : 7.fc24
Size        : 77 k
Repo        : fedora
Summary     : Library for connecting to mobile devices
URL         : http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : libimobiledevice is a library for connecting to mobile devices including phones
            : and music players

I've been using Google Drive (as described in an earlier post) to transfer photos from my phone to my computer. But, this is interesting. I'm going to have to check this out with Jessie (and maybe backports) on one of my other computers.

[Edit]

I just tried plugging in the iphone 5s to my Fedora computer, it didn't work the first time but after "retrying" it the photo directory was accessible. (/iphone/DCIM/100APPLE/)

I'm definitely going to try backporting libimobiledevice 1.2 into Jessie...

[edit again]

Huh:

russel@debian-nuc:~$ aptitude search libimobiledevice
p   libimobiledevice-dev                            - Library for communicating with iPhone and iPod Touch devic
p   libimobiledevice-doc                            - Library for communicating with iPhone and iPod Touch devic
p   libimobiledevice-utils                          - Library for communicating with iPhone and iPod Touch devic
i A libimobiledevice4                               - Library for communicating with the iPhone and iPod Touch  
p   libimobiledevice4-dbg                           - Library for communicating with iPhone and iPod Touch devic

russel@debian-nuc:~$ aptitude show libimobiledevice4
Package: libimobiledevice4               
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Multi-Arch: same
Version: 1.1.6+dfsg-3.1
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Maintainer: gtkpod Maintainers <pkg-gtkpod-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 146 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcrypt20 (>= 1.6.1), libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.2.10-0), libplist2 (>= 1.11),
         libtasn1-6 (>= 4.0-0), libusbmuxd2 (>= 1.0.9)
PreDepends: multiarch-support
Recommends: usbmuxd
Suggests: libusbmuxd-tools
Conflicts: libiphone0
Replaces: libimobiledevice0, libimobiledevice1, libiphone0
Description: Library for communicating with the iPhone and iPod Touch
 libimobiledevice is a library that talks the native Apple USB protocols that the iPhone and iPod Touch use.
 Unlike other projects, libimobiledevice does not depend on using any existing libraries from Apple.
Homepage: http://libimobiledevice.org/

Tags: role::shared-lib

bfsmith9

#15 Post by bfsmith9 »

I'm able to use the local network method. There's an app for the iPhone called "Goodreader." It's excellent - a sort of swiss-army knife app for file work - let's you read pdfs, text files, etc: http://goodreader.com/

What's nice is that it has some rudimentary file management abilities. You can connect to your computer via sftp, and then use a "copy" function to move photos.

Another app on iPhone (I have an iPhone 6S) is called "Documents 5." That might also work for you - it appears to be free: https://readdle.com/products/documents

pylkko

#16 Post by pylkko »

Another really nice thing about the local network way is that you can setup a VPN server on the router/machine and you can then extend the functionality to work over mobile internet/some external place's WIFI if you so want. I listen to music like this since I don't want to store it on my phone.