Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Two Monitors: Mint Sees 'Em, Debian Doesn't

Need help with peripherals or devices?
LaneLester

Two Monitors: Mint Sees 'Em, Debian Doesn't

#1 Post by LaneLester »

I'm not a troll, just a user seeking a solution to a Debian problem.

I have two monitors connected to my desktop PC, and my hard drive has several partitions with different distros on them:
  • Debian Netinstall
    Debian KDE\
    Lubuntu LXDE
    Mint KDE
    Peppermint LXDE
The two Mints and Lubuntu detect and enable my two monitors as a single desktop extending across the total width. I can have different windows on the two monitors.

The two Debians are recent downloads, and I did the 83 updates on the KDE install. Both Debians detect only one monitor, using arandr in Netinstall and the monitor settings in KDE.

I would like to use the Debians; is there a possible solution to my problem?

Lane

happydog500

Re: Two Monitors: Mint Sees 'Em, Debian Doesn't

#2 Post by happydog500 »

Sorry this is not an answer to your problem, but I can't get dual monitors to work in Mint or any other distro (about 15). Some will do one, Debian has blank on both. Wish I was in your situation of having Mint work with two monitors.

Sad to say, but I got the least help in other Debian forums then others. I thought for sure it would be one of the best.

Hope you will get this fixed.

Chris.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Two Monitors: Mint Sees 'Em, Debian Doesn't

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It is likely that the graphics card is not properly supported, either because of missing non-free firmware (in the case of AMD cards) or simply because the hardware is too new for jessie's old kernel version.

Please post the specifics of your graphics hardware and kernel driver.

Code: Select all

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|3d'
deadbang