Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No Front Panel Audio On Asus ROG Ranger VIII

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Enekk

No Front Panel Audio On Asus ROG Ranger VIII

#1 Post by Enekk »

Hello Debian Users! Before I start out, I want to mention that I have
already emailed the alsa-user list, but haven't gotten any replies.

I have an ASUS ROG Ranger VIII mother board. The rear panel audio
works, but the front panel audio output does not (though input works).
The system recognizes when headphones are plugged into the front
panel, but no sound comes out. Here is the output of the alsa-info
script: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=61a8c ... eca9c85c86

Things I've done:
1. I have gone into the alsa mixer and ensured that the front panel
audio was not muted and that the volume level was up.

2. I have opened up pulse's audio control and seen that the volume bar
is jumping around with the headphone port listed as the output sync.

3. I have gone into Windows and ensured the port worked.

4. I have done a couple of random tricks with aplay.conf

So far, nothing has worked. You can see most of the stats of my
system in the link above, but I am running Debian Testing with the 4.8
kernel.

Enekk

Re: No Front Panel Audio On Asus ROG Ranger VIII

#2 Post by Enekk »

I was told that there were some vendor specific coefs and asked to dump them (echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/module/snd_hda_codec/parameters/dump_coef). The results can be found here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=beda6 ... 434de3fb1c

Enekk

#3 Post by Enekk »

As a temporary work-round, a user (named debianuser - thanks) on the alsa IRC channel suggested I swap the headphone and mic in hdajackreset. This makes the jack work, but is obviously not a long term solution:

Code: Select all

11:19  * debianuser found no known vendor coefs yet for this codec... :(
11:19 < Enekk> Ah, so is this one of those things that might iron itself out over time?
11:19 < debianuser> Enekk: You said "input works"? Heh. There's one hack we can try. :) Your codec is flexible. Front panel ports are mapped to codec nodes
                    0x1b (headphones) and 0x19 (front mic). Let's try to swap them! Install "alsa-tools-gui" package, run `hdajackretask`, select your codec,
                    override pin node 0x19 as headphones and pin 0x1b as front mic, then "Install boot override", reboot and let's see what happens.
11:20 < debianuser> (hda-jack-retask generates /lib/firmware/hda-jack-retask.fw config and adds it to snd-hda-intel modules, so it's applied on boot.) Even
                    if that'd work - it's just a test, I'm not suggesting it as a permanent solution. But it's worth a try. :)
11:20 < Enekk> Ok, let me do that
11:20 < debianuser> After reboot - plug your headphones into front mic port and check if you hear anything. :)
11:21 < Enekk> That certainly did work
11:22 < debianuser> do you hear anything?
11:23 < Enekk> Yes, I can hear stuff, though the microphone does not work
11:23 < Enekk> But that's to be expected I'd guess
11:24 < Enekk> So, is there somewhere I can post a bug report or something to help out?
11:24 < debianuser> Can you dump your new alsa-info? (include vendor coefs too just in case, `echo 1 | sudo tee 
                    /sys/module/snd_hda_codec/parameters/dump_coef`)
11:24 < Enekk> Sure, no problem.  One moment.
11:25 < Enekk> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=62a7b0b1ba9d0311d3984ef0c49a0aa2f64b494d

Enekk

#4 Post by Enekk »

Again working with debianuser on IRC, I've submitted a bug report for this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=189411