Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Android says Debian's "unable to access data on this device"

Need help with peripherals or devices?
heminder

Android says Debian's "unable to access data on this device"

#1 Post by heminder »

I realise this is not a Debian-specific problem as I did some searching and reading on the internet, but didn't mange to find a solution that worked.

On Wheezy/Jessie I could use adb push and pull commands without any problems. I have since done a fresh install of Stretch and the phone (not rooted) says "The connected device is unable to access data on this device" every time I plug it in now. Adb commands don't work any more. USB debugging is enabled, and I have tried clearing the device authorisations and granting permission again with my laptop, but to no avail.

If I try to access the phone's storage with Dolphin file manager (MTP), I can see the files but a prompt keeps coming up on the laptop that there has been an error accessing the device when I try to open/copy one, and one on the phone repeatedly asking me to grant access for the laptop to access the phone. PTP doesn't seem to work at all.
Last edited by heminder on 2016-11-29 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Android says Debian's "unable to access data on this dev

#2 Post by arochester »

I have since done a fresh install of Etch
Why such an old release? "Security updates have been discontinued as of the end of February 2010..."

heminder

#3 Post by heminder »

arochester wrote:
I have since done a fresh install of Etch
Why such an old release? "Security updates have been discontinued as of the end of February 2010..."
Oops, I meant Stretch not Etch. The new one that's in testing at the moment. Fixed it.

heminder

#4 Post by heminder »

Anyone?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Which version of Android is it?

We have an old Android smartphone that connects flawlessly with gvfs (thunar & nautilus) in both jessie and stretch.

Do you have gvfs-mtp installed?

I haven't tried using adb in stretch though.
deadbang

eor2004

#7 Post by eor2004 »

heminder wrote:If I try to access the phone's storage with Dolphin file manager (MTP), I can see the files but a prompt keeps coming up on the laptop that there has been an error accessing the device when I try to open/copy one, and one on the phone repeatedly asking me to grant access for the laptop to access the phone. PTP doesn't seem to work at all.
@ OP: Hi, just an idea that might work, who knows? can you try to mount and access your phone storage using another file manager, not dolphin, but Caja, Nemo or Thunar for example, I remember a couple of years ago I was using KDE and Dolphin, for some unknown reason to me, it refused to mount and access my phone's storage, so i tried with another file manager I guess it was Caja the file manager for MATE DE and it worked, I was able to work with my phone's storage! OTOH, also check if your usb cable and/or phone plug connector is in good working condition.

P.S. Also make sure you have package "mtp-tools" installed, good luck!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

heminder

#8 Post by heminder »

Android 6.0.1.

mtp-tools is installed. The gvfs-mtp isn't in Stretch, but gvfs-backends is listed to contain the MTP support.

I did try using the E17 file manager, but it didn't detect the device. Dolphin was working perfectly in Jessie. I'd prefer not to mix desktop environments and stick with QT/KDE programs.