Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Professional Audio Card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
russelledwards

Professional Audio Card

#1 Post by russelledwards »

Hello All

I'm experimenting at trying to get my Professional Audio Card, A Focusrite Scarlett, running in Debian as I'd like to try and make LINUX my day to day OS over the ever noddy MAC OS I currently have the displeasure of utilising.

I've plugged the card in and got what I though was a promising response from dmesg of the following: -

[ 492.472223] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[ 492.613034] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1235, idProduct=800c
[ 492.613040] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 492.613043] usb 2-1: Product: Scarlett 18i20 USB
[ 492.613044] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Focusrite
[ 493.380595] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

I also had a look in /dev/snd and the following devices were created

midiC1D0
pcmC1D0c
pcmC1D0p

All this gave me good hopes that the card had been recognised and was functional, although I noted that a pcmC1D1p device hadn't been created to match up with the internal sound card.

However when I went into the sound settings the card hadn't appeared and all I could select was the internal card.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what I might need to try / do to get the card operational? Sadly, although I do delve into Linux drivers on occasion with my work, the audio stack isn't something I have any experience of.

Many thanks

Russell

Segfault

Re: Professional Audio Card

#2 Post by Segfault »

Professional card for professional work I assume? Are you using Jack audio server?

russelledwards

#3 Post by russelledwards »

Ummmm sort of.

I do recordings etc for fiends in my spare time. It's for this reason that I've grown up on the mac. But I don't envisage needing the professional side of things in Linux I'm most likely going to head to Windows for that as I'm not aware of great support for multi track audio in Linux with Audacity being the peak. Certainly Avid and Steignberg don't produce anything for it, but this is getting off topic.

Basically I use the card day to day for all audio as I don't have room for two set ups. So while I'm aware of JACK and if it supports it I could, I believe use something like ALSA JACK, I'd prefer to try and get native ALSA support before I head down this route.

Hope this makes sense, and tell me if I'm being stupid.

Regards

Russell

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

russelledwards wrote:I do recordings etc for fiends
;)
I'm not aware of great support for multi track audio in Linux with Audacity being the peak.
http://ardour.org/
I'd prefer to try and get native ALSA support before I head down this route.
Maybe start here - https://wiki.debian.org/SoundCard
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

OK, Linux is a great platform for professional audio work. There are dedicated distros for this. Do your research, you will be surprised finding out what software is out there. And, with realtime kernel and Jack audio (which works on top of ALSA) your work will not sound sloppy.
Here is one example, check out the software choices: http://gentoostudio.org/
Also you may want to join this discussion: https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 1&start=30

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

I wonder if your Focusrite Audio Card might work with OSS4.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.