Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't print with HP Laserjet (SOLVED)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
utsalako

Can't print with HP Laserjet (SOLVED)

#1 Post by utsalako »

Hello,
A few years ago I'm using an HP Laserjet 1018 printer on Ubuntu and Debian, but for a few years now I've been going crazy. Sometimes the pc tells me that the printer is not connected. When printing, sometimes it prints normal, but other times it takes quite a while to boot or even, if there are many pages, it may be interrupted. But what is bothering me most is that especially in Debian, I can not even install it correctly. I recently got it to work on a Debian machine with Jessie, but now I'm trying to do it on another and there's no way.
Making it from CUPS, it seems that it has installed, I pulse the hiding of the test page, it says that the print has been enhanced, but nothing has come out.
When I try to install it with hp-configuration of HPLIP, first says that version 8.7 of Debian is not supported, and something like installing the versions of 8.6. At the end of the installation gives the following errors:

REVIEW OF DEPENDENCIES
Unesdoc.unesco.org unesdoc.unesco.org
Error: A required dependency is missing 'pyqt4-dbus (PyQt 4 DBus - Support DBus for PyQt4)'.
Error: A required dependency 'pyqt4 (PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))' is still missing.
Error: The installation can not continue without these dependencies.
Error: Manually install this dependency and rerun this installer.

Installing HPLIP with apt-get seems to have worked. But when running hp-setup, and detected the printer, pulse Next and is locked indefinitely.
I am using Debian Jessie with Cinnamon, and in the configuration of the impression the printer appears with green check, order a test page, says done, but it does not print.
Even sent print from terminal, says it has already printed, but nothing.
With hp-doctor, after entering password, the cursor is moving for eternity.
I do not know what I can do, i am happy with Debian, but this is the only obstacle.
If somebody can/want help me, i will be very gratefull! And sorry by my english.
Thanks
Last edited by utsalako on 2017-02-09 18:56, edited 3 times in total.

Segfault

Re: Can't print with HP Laserjet

#2 Post by Segfault »

Isn't there some diagnostic utility, hp-doctor perhaps (from memory), did you run it?

Edit: Never mind, I see you did.
Last edited by Segfault on 2017-02-03 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

acewiza

#3 Post by acewiza »

HP support for Linux printing has always been less than stellar, but usually works after some fiddling. Not sure how old that particular 1080 model is, but my WAG is the current driver has grown some cruft that no longer agrees with it. Have you tried any different driver selections... possibly an older one that worked before?
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

How is the printer connected? Wire or Wifi?

Assigning a permanent DNS number to a printer can often help stabilize it. Otherwise, CUPS can try to choose a different number every time you boot up.

utsalako

#5 Post by utsalako »

Thanks for all your answers.
The printer is wired, via usb.
And yes, after installing HPLIP, there are hp-doctor command, much times, gives me a lot of dependencies errors, but now (without knowing what I've done) it gives only something about reportlab and ppd file. I would like attach in a file the command result, but i don't know why not, i put here what i think is the most important. If you want tell me how i can attach file with all results... Here the three command results:

hp-chech command

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'python-reportlab' package is missing/incompatible

Total Errors: 1
Total Warnings: 0

Run 'hp-doctor' command to prompt and fix the issues.

Done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the end, it has suggested run hp-doctor, and one of the errors is about distro deprecated.Again something about reportlab, and after enterig root password, it stays working eternally, more than once I've left it all night. This has happened to me whenever I have used this command in the last months or almost years. Before, it did not happen and so I suspect it has to do with some update.

hp-doctor command

HP-LaserJet-1018
----------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP34EX0
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-1018.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-1018.ppd ppd file
PPD Description:
Printer status: la impresora HP-LaserJet-1018 está inactiva. activada desde dom 05 feb 2017 21:35:14 CET
Communication status: Good

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

USB HP-LaserJet-1018 Required - - OK Node:'/dev/bus/usb/001/005' Perm:' root lp rw- rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'
Missing Optional Dependencies
error: 'python-reportlab' package is missing/incompatible

ENTER ROOT/SUPERUSER PASSWORD
Please enter the root/superuser password:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing hp-testpage, the hplip systray says that the print job is finished, but no pages are printed. However, an error appears on the terminal.

hp-testpage command

joxemari@emachines:~$ hp-testpage

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.6)
Testpage Print Utility ver. 6.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Using printer: HP-LaserJet-1018

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.6)
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:127: RuntimeWarning: PyOS_InputHook is not available for interactive use of PyGTK
set_interactive(1)
error: Unable to find hp-upgrade --notify on PATH.
joxemari@emachines:~$

The printer is a little old, but not more than 10 years. In the past it was working good with linux, the problems comes from the past 2-3 years. And about controllers, i don't know how i can choose it, may be in cups? I tried with all: foomatic, hpjis, etc... (i don't know if this are the controllers)

:?
Thanks

shep

#6 Post by shep »

The HP 1018 printer is a little unusual in that it uses the ZjStream protocol. Prior to HP including the protocol in hplip, users would use the foo2zjs driver. The driver does not include HPs' python based utilities. Instead of hplip, you can use cups + foo2zjs for a simpler installation.

utsalako

#7 Post by utsalako »

Thanks shep.
II have installed several times already with cups, trying every options of drivers. Seems like all is ok, order test page, it says sending data to printer, printing, job done, but the printer do nothing.
Even when you turn on the printer, the system itself installs it, apparently correctly, but it does not work either.
With hplip the problem will be like you say something with Python, because trying to install with downloaded hplip package (not from repositories) it gives dependencies error with Pyqt4. Searching in synaptic, this package looks like it is installed. I don't know what else to do.

shep

#8 Post by shep »

Another factor with this class of printers is the firmware file and how it gets loaded into the printer. The firmware is "non-free".
Debian User forum for the similiar HP1020
Debian mailing list for HP1018.
There appear to be 2 options for foo2zjs, the straight driver and a second package that provides a graphical firmware downloader.

I would probably remove hplip followed by autoremove. Make sure the you do not have any cups configuration files left over. Then install cups + printer-driver-foo2zjs. Manually download the firmware per the mailing list and double check the udev rule. Then use the cups web interface to select the HP1018 ppd.

dibl

#9 Post by dibl »

Have you tried a new/different USB cable? The problem is probably software-related, but rarely a cable can deteriorate over time and have an internal fault.
Debian sid / siduction KDE

utsalako

#10 Post by utsalako »

shep wrote:The HP 1018 printer is a little unusual in that it uses the ZjStream protocol. Prior to HP including the protocol in hplip, users would use the foo2zjs driver. The driver does not include HPs' python based utilities. Instead of hplip, you can use cups + foo2zjs for a simpler installation.
Praise the lord! I am happy!
Pulling that idea, i followed the instructions given in the foo2zjs web page, uninstalling HPLIP, and system-config-printer-udev (gives error), installing via cups, and finally it works!
Like you say dibi, the cable will be, I had thought about it, but in the same machine, in windows, iti works well.
Thanks to everyone!