Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Cannot detect CD-RW media

Need help with peripherals or devices?
osdebian

[SOLVED] Cannot detect CD-RW media

#1 Post by osdebian »

Hello!
I have Debian Jessie installed on my pc and have problems using CD-RW media. These media are not detected when inserted into my DVD/CD burner. Brasero does not detect any media so I can't burn CD-RWs. Burning and reading CDs and DVDs works fine. Any idea to solve this issue?
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by osdebian on 2017-03-21 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

Re: Cannot detect CD-RW media

#2 Post by phenest »

Do you mean you can burn a CD-R?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

osdebian

#4 Post by osdebian »

Forgot to mention that I am using the Gnome desktop.

CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW are detected by the file browser (I guess it is Nautilus) and Brasero. I can read data already written on them and burn them with Brasero. I did not test DVD+RW. But CD-RW are not detected by the file browser and Brasero, therefore connot be used!

Answer to "phenest's" post: yes, I can burn CD-R with Brasero without any problem
Answer to " pylkko's" post: the link points to quite an old topic. However, I tried Xfburn as suggested in the post, dosn't work. gnomebaker, graveman, cdrecord are no more part of Jessie. gvfs is installed by default in Jessie/Gnome and "dbus-launch brasero" doesn't work (it starts Brasero but Brasero does not detect the CD-RW media). Didn't manage to get wodim working.
Thank you both for your inputs.

I switched the boot to my old Windows and the CD-RW is not readable either. Looks like a hardware problem, strange but may happen. I will change my drive and come back.

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

it is quite common and has been discussed on these forums that some times the weak laser on cheap modern drives are not able to rewrite these discs.

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

+1 on pylkko's comment. Also, does it, or did it, work in Windows?

Given that DVD's and CD's use the same laser for burning, it's odd that you can't even read a CD-RW but other media type are fine. Is that correct?

osdebian

#7 Post by osdebian »

I have been quite busy in the past weeks but I did progress with my problem. The current status is:
- I tried to test the drive (Plextor PX-760A manufactured in 2006) with PlexUtilities which gives an indication of the laser diode status but unfortunately this drive is not supported by PlexUtilities (too old drive)
- I confirm that that the PX-760A was reading and burning CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW both on Jessie 8.7 and Windows Xp SP3.
- the PX-760A did not detect CD-RW's, either with Jessie or Windows Xp
- I decided to test the 3 CD-Rs which I burned recently with the PX-760A using Brasero's option Tools/Verify Integrity and 2 out of the 3 did not pass the test due to errors (although Brasero indicated burning completed successfuly). I also tested these 2 disks with PlexTools which reported errors as well.
- I changed the drive with a new Asus model (which supports also M-DISK) and now everything works well with all media. Unfotunately Asus does not provide such software like PlexUtilities to monitor the status of you drive

So I think it was time to change the drive. For some reason CD-RW support ceased to work and burning errors were present.

I consider this topic closed unless you want to discuss more aspects linked with this problem.
I regret that Plextor went out of the drive business, they produced quite good drives and a nice and usefull support software (PlexTools, PlexUtilities)

phenest

#8 Post by phenest »

osdebian wrote:- I tried to test the drive (Plextor PX-760A manufactured in 2006)
There's your answer. It's probably getting worn out.
osdebian wrote:- I changed the drive with a new Asus model (which supports also M-DISK)
ASUS don't make optical drives, so it's probably a rebranded LG or Lite-on. Still should be good though.
osdebian wrote:I consider this topic closed
Could you edit your first post title and mark it as solved please.

osdebian

#9 Post by osdebian »

phenest wrote:ASUS don't make optical drives, so it's probably a rebranded LG or Lite-on. Still should be good though.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know ASUS was not actually manufacturing their optical drives! But they market them since a long time!
phenest wrote:Could you edit your first post title and mark it as solved please.
Done