Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

turning devices on and off to save power

Need help with peripherals or devices?
buddhaboy

turning devices on and off to save power

#1 Post by buddhaboy »

what is the best way to turn devices such as screen, cdrom, usb ports, (possibly unused bus) on and off during run time.
i would prefer a raw, straight forward method apposed to some sort of management software because i would like to control devices power status in custom services/ scripts/ bins 8) thanks in advance!

phenest

Re: turning devices on and off to save power

#2 Post by phenest »

Have you done any research of your own prior to asking here? If so, please share so we can help with what you found.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

If your question were even a tad bit more specific there could be some interesting discussion, but unfortunately, as is it is just too vague for there to be anything interesting to say. Many periferials can be turned off and others can be forced into low power states. It is also possible to estimate approximately how much power a device uses with tools like powertop

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

pylkko wrote:unfortunately, as is it is just too vague for there to be anything interesting to say.
Whilst I agree with this, I gave it some thought and some answers may be obvious given the vagueness of the question:

Modern optical drives support something called Zero Power. This basically means that when it's not in use, it automatically turns itself off so it uses no power. This is a hardware feature, and I don't think this can be accomplished via software.

As for the screen: a screensaver can deal with that.

And as for USB ports, surely if you unplug something from it, the USB port is not consuming power any more.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Code: Select all

shutdown -h now

Code: Select all

systemctl poweroff