Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

usb 2-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Shadow

usb 2-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

#1 Post by Shadow »

Hi,

I've scrolled through all "error -32" posts on the forum with no luck of finding an answer.

Solution I have found, that looked like it might work but it didn't was:
Enabling Legacy Boot and Intel Virtualisation Technology in BIOS.
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

Some think it might be a hardware malfunction, but how can it be when everything runs perfectly well on other distros? (I'll come back to it)

The problem: My mouse (Razer Naga) and keyboard ( Razer Black Widow Chroma) do not work if they stay plugged in to a PC during Debian booting process.
They work perfectly fine in BIOS.
If I unplug them before GRUB gets loaded and plug them back in after Debian is loaded, they work perfectly fine.
Old keyboard ( Razer Arctosa) work fine even if it stays connected during loading of Debian.
Both Razer Naga and Black Widow normally require drivers for full functionality of additional keys/buttons and light effects while Arctosa is a vary basic device.

I am running Debian Stretch (no dual boot) at the moment with kernel version 4.9.0-1-amd64, but I had used previously clean Jessie install without upgraded kernel and was having the same problem.
The problem do not occurs for me on Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10, Kubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 or KDE Neon. I haven't checked any other distros.
I cannot be entirely sure but it is possible that I had the same issue with old Kubuntu versions, it was few years ago so I cannot remember correctly.

This looks like a helpful hint (especially for me as I'm quite a beginner)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2234 ... 4-error-32

The thing haven't tried yet and just thought about now is to try to connect mouse and keyboard to USB ports in my PS case instead of motherboard.
I'll try that and will update.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Please let me know if I should provide any more information.

Shadow

Re: usb 2-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

#2 Post by Shadow »

Update

After connecting both devices to USB ports of my PC case (even though they obviously connect themselves with a cable to motherboard ports) everything works flawlessly.

So the problem is USB Hub on my motherboard?
Somehow it's not fully supported by Debian?
I recall reading somewhere that the frequency might be set incorrectly on motherboard, and because it's off the devices do not get recognised.... Could that be it? (I'm sorry if what I just said is stupid)

Very important detail I forgot to let you know about:
Both mouse and keyboard were previously connected to USB2 ports, while now:
mouse: into USB3 port in PC case that is connected to USB3 port of motherboard USB Hub.
keyboard: into USB2 port in PC case that is connected to USB3 ports of motherboard USB Hub.

Shadow

Re: usb 2-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

#3 Post by Shadow »

Update 2

Connecting both devices directly into motherboard's USB3 ports is causing no errors either.

So it's definitely only an USB2 issue.