Oh no! Something has gone... After installing nvidia drivers

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Re: Oh no! Something has gone... After installing nvidia dri

Postby JPlock » 2017-03-11 13:38

Segfault wrote:Your options to get it working (from Arch wiki):
1. using the official Optimus support included with the proprietary NVIDIA driver, which offers the best NVIDIA performance but does not allow GPU switching and can be more buggy than the open-source driver.
2. using the PRIME functionality of the open-source nouveau driver, which allows GPU switching and powersaving but offers poor performance compared to the proprietary NVIDIA driver and may cause issues with sleep and hibernate.
3. using the third-party Bumblebee program to implement Optimus-like functionality, which offers GPU switching and powersaving but requires extra configuration.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Thank you for the options.
Last edited by JPlock on 2017-03-11 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
JPlock

Postby Segfault » 2017-03-11 13:46

If battery life is not an issue I'd go with option 1. Option 2 is not bad, either. I do not agree fully with their statement about nouveau poor performance.
Segfault

Postby JPlock » 2017-03-11 14:14

Segfault wrote:If battery life is not an issue I'd go with option 1. Option 2 is not bad, either. I do not agree fully with their statement about nouveau poor performance.

I should follow https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/Optimus to do option 1 right?

Why wouldn't you go for bumblebee? When I was trying to understand what went wrong I saw many people advising to stick with it, instead of downloading any nvidia drivers, since the bumblebee primus already search and install any drivers needed(if I am not mistaken)
JPlock

Postby Segfault » 2017-03-11 14:18

I like to keep my installations simple, just a personal preference. You do what you like.
Segfault

Postby JPlock » 2017-03-11 14:22

Segfault wrote:I like to keep my installations simple, just a personal preference. You do what you like.

Thank you very much, I will try option 1 first, if something goes wrong I will go for 3
JPlock

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-11 17:56

I have an Optimus system and went with the Bumblebee solution to extend battery life. It wasn't difficult to set up the first time by following the wiki. I believe that if you wish to use the Nvidia card to speed up number crunching apps with openCL or video transcoding with a newer ffmpeg's NVENC, you'll need to use option 1 instead. Bumblebee just hands off the 3D rendering to the Nvidia card, which gives the finished frames back to the Intel card to display.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.4, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-4, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.1, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Previous

Return to Hardware