Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] New motherboard

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ticojohn

[SOLVED] New motherboard

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I am currently running Jessie (i386) on an older Biostar motherboard (Core 2 Duo, 2 GB ram) and am looking at a Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1 motherboard with 8GB ram as a possible upgrade. The Gigabyte board has an AMD A series processor with the A68H chipset. Will my current Jessie installation work with few, or NO, problems or will I need to upgrade to amd64 ? And is this board a decent upgrade from what I have?

I would certainly upgrade to amd64 some time in the future. Just looking at having the system up and running as quickly as possible.
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-03-13 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

phenest

Re: New motherboard

#2 Post by phenest »

First of all, it's not possible to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit. But you could leave it as 32 bit, and still use all 8GB RAM. As for anything else, I'm guessing you will also change the video card too, yes? If so, you may need to change the driver for that. But, as the motherboards are quite different, the chipsets will also require different drivers.
It's a difficult question to answer if no one else has done it. Personally, I would backup all my data and start from scratch.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

ticojohn

Re: New motherboard

#3 Post by ticojohn »

phenest wrote:First of all, it's not possible to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit. But you could leave it as 32 bit, and still use all 8GB RAM. As for anything else, I'm guessing you will also change the video card too, yes? If so, you may need to change the driver for that. But, as the motherboards are quite different, the chipsets will also require different drivers.
It's a difficult question to answer if no one else has done it. Personally, I would backup all my data and start from scratch.
I understand about upgrading from 32 to 64 bit (although I have read where people have done it https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading). By upgrade I meant an install of 64 bit.

My initial plan was to run the 32 bit system that I currently have installed, sort of plug and play.

I was not intending to install a video card. The board has the A68H chipset on board, so I was wondering if Jessie (332 bit) would have a generic driver for that chipset. As that chipset has been around for some time I would think so.

And certainly, when the time comes to install 64 bit I would backup everything I want to keep.

I am also looking at another option, that being an Asrock G41M-VS3 . It has an LGA775 socket so I could use my existing processor. The board also supports up to 8 GB ram. Waiting on pricing from my local computer store on the Gigabyte board. It all comes down to pricing.

Thanks for the feedback.

update: Nix the Asrock board. Not very good reviews.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.