Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

4 monitors on debian Jessie

Need help with peripherals or devices?
phoenix88

4 monitors on debian Jessie

#1 Post by phoenix88 »

Hi

This is my first post in this forum and I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm using debian since many years but I'm a complete noob regarding all graphics related topics. So that I hope to get some helpful advices :D
I want to extend my monitors from 2 to 4. I need this for work (coding etc) and NO gaming. At the moment I have an old GT 220 graphic card which does a decent job. However, for being able to run 4 monitors I need to buy a new graphic card. As outlined above I'm a complete noob regarding this. I browsed the web and found this card which isn't too expansive (Imho) https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/gi ... ?tagIds=76
for what it's offering. Maybe I'm completely wrong
I have the followimg two questions:
  • 1. Is it worth going for one with Hdmi/divport just for work related stuff?
  • 2. Is it easy to setup the drivers for these card for debian jessie? As far as I see there are prop drivers from nvidia supporting my 64 system but maybe I missing a point here.
The second question is important to me. I don't want to spend too much time to set it up. Simce I'm not a gamer all I need is to get this 4 monitors up and running without having a painful experience :? Hope some more experienced debian user may share their opinions if this doable with tgis graphic card and drivers

Cheers!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 4 monitors on debian Jessie

#2 Post by sunrat »

You should be able to set up 4 monitors with the Nvidia Settings utility.
That card will probably need a newer kernel and graphics driver from backports.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

phoenix88

#3 Post by phoenix88 »

Thanks for your anwser. I'm open to other recommendation regarding the graphic card. If you think there is a more suitable one for this case, happy to hear your thoughts :wink:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

That card should be fine, and installing kernel and drivers from backports is pretty easy. You may be interested in these (only slightly dated) articles at Phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ktop&num=1
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=1
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!