Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HELP] MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Support

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bVictor7364

[HELP] MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Support

#1 Post by bVictor7364 »

Hello, I've recently bought the MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Keyboard, which, unfortunately, does not have any kind of support for Linux.

Here's how it looks like:
https://i.imgsafe.org/f34bdc21f0.jpg

The missing features are:
> M1-4 Keys
> C1-5 Keys
> The red "thumb" button with the roller
> V.E.N.O.M. Macros
> V.E.N.O.M. Launcher
> V.E.N.O.M. Media applet (buttons do work)
> V.E.N.O.M. Clock sync
(I did not try the TEAMSPEAK)

Obviously we are missing the service to sync the clock and the audio control that is made only for windows, so unless someone writes it, I'm not sure there is a way to make it work.
The launcher and macros, are also questionable, depending on how does it work.

On the other hand, the extra keys should work, or at least be recognized. But they aren't.

Here's what I get with

Code: Select all

xinput list

After xinput --test x I've found that:
id=11 are the buttons on the V.E.N.O.M. module (volume control)
id=9 is the Left part of the keyboard, from esc to f12 and top to bottom (it is connected to the VENOM via a usb mini b labeled B)
id=10 is the Right part of the keyboard, prtscrn, home, end, arrows, numpad, etc. (it is connected to the VENOM via a usb mini b labeled C)

BUT, none of them sees the extra keys:
M1-4 is a block of keys connected to the keyboard (not the VENOM) (can be connected to either side via usb mini b labeled A);
C1-5 keys, which are between arrows and the home,end block;
The red button with the roller, which is located in left palm rest and are connected via small contacts to either of sides.

I've tried a few of utilities to find their scancodes, but none of them did (xinput, xev, evtest..)

I'd really like to make this keyboard as functional as possible. Thank You in advance.

debiman

Re: [HELP] MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Support

#2 Post by debiman »

bVictor7364 wrote:Hello, I've recently bought the MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Keyboard, which, unfortunately, does not have any kind of support for Linux.
already knowing that you use linux, haven't you thought about that beforehand?

honestly, if possible i'd try to return it.

it seems you explored most avenues i could've suggested, but try this search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+mad+catz+keyboard

bVictor7364

#3 Post by bVictor7364 »

debiman wrote:
bVictor7364 wrote:Hello, I've recently bought the MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Keyboard, which, unfortunately, does not have any kind of support for Linux.
already knowing that you use linux, haven't you thought about that beforehand?

honestly, if possible i'd try to return it.

it seems you explored most avenues i could've suggested, but try this search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+mad+catz+keyboard
I thought about it only after I ordered it. It's a nice keyboard, very comfortable, just sucks that some features are missing.
The search didn't give anything, I've already explored the results and they only suggest finding the scancodes, but that doesn't work..

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

You might be able to track down which key does what and put instructions in an autostart feature. For example, I use the following to suppress the Caps Lock button.

setxkbmap -option caps:none
Your S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 keyboard probably uses different controls but the principle should be the same. Finding the instructions may be the difficult part. Does MadCatz have a forum?

bVictor7364

#5 Post by bVictor7364 »

Bulkley wrote:You might be able to track down which key does what and put instructions in an autostart feature. For example, I use the following to suppress the Caps Lock button.

setxkbmap -option caps:none
Your S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 keyboard probably uses different controls but the principle should be the same. Finding the instructions may be the difficult part. Does MadCatz have a forum?
No, MadCatz don't have a forum, oddly enough.. Its very hard to find anything other than reviews on S.T.R.I.K.E 7..
Even for the V.E.N.O.M. from what i've found out, it's ARM-Based, so probably a unix distribution, yet, no one knows anything about the firmware.

Anyway, from what I understand, the keyboard is split into "modules" so it is also split in the system (somehow), and those buttons are not getting recognized as part of keyboard (though, I'm not sure), since all other buttons do display their scancodes. The weirdest part is that the C1-5 don't react, since they are together, on the same circuit with other buttons that do work.

bVictor7364

#6 Post by bVictor7364 »

Anyway, after all this time I still did not figure out hot to make it work. Plus, I've noticed there's like ghosting when I type..
I'm going to return it, while I still can, in favor of a ROCCAT probably.

Verdict, It's a good keyboard, as long as you're on windows...

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

bVictor7364 wrote: No, MadCatz don't have a forum, oddly enough.
You won't get much support from them soon, sadly they have recently filed for bankruptcy.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bVictor7364

#8 Post by bVictor7364 »

Ardouos wrote:
bVictor7364 wrote: No, MadCatz don't have a forum, oddly enough.
You won't get much support from them soon, sadly they have recently filed for bankruptcy.
Wow, didn't know that. Then yeah, unless someone decides to write a driver for Linux, it's a lost case..
Too bad, really.

Ardouos

#9 Post by Ardouos »

bVictor7364 wrote: Wow, didn't know that. Then yeah, unless someone decides to write a driver for Linux, it's a lost case..
Have you tried creating a configuration file for your mouse?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo ... tion_Files
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bVictor7364

#10 Post by bVictor7364 »

Ardouos wrote:
bVictor7364 wrote: Wow, didn't know that. Then yeah, unless someone decides to write a driver for Linux, it's a lost case..
Have you tried creating a configuration file for your mouse?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo ... tion_Files
Were talking about a keyboard, but still applies.
The problem is, that system displays the keyboard three different devices, and none of them contain those buttons. So that doesn't help...

Anyway, I've returned it before it was too late. A shame, I liked it as a keyboard.

Ardouos

#11 Post by Ardouos »

bVictor7364 wrote:
Ardouos wrote: Were talking about a keyboard, but still applies.
Oh... my bad, maybe I should of looked it up before commenting. :lol:

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bVictor7364

#12 Post by bVictor7364 »

Ardouos wrote:
bVictor7364 wrote:
Ardouos wrote: Were talking about a keyboard, but still applies.
Oh... my bad, maybe I should of looked it up before commenting. :lol:
No worries :)
It's still relevant for a keyboard also.