Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MSI Ghost GS60-6QD Fan Control

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bdschr

MSI Ghost GS60-6QD Fan Control

#1 Post by bdschr »

Hello,

I am new to this forum but not Debian. However I always used it on servers, so terminal (through ssh) only; not as my desktop operating system. But this changed when I installed Debian with Gnome 3 on a brand new laptop I received for work. I was so impressed with it that I decided to sell my two year old Macbook. I was not happy with the rising prices for Apple hardware in my country. I wasn't really bound to any Mac/Win only software package. And I was itching for a replacement with hardware specs that were worth the money.So while browsing around I stumbled upon this MSI Ghost GS60-6QD. The specs where high and the price was pretty low compared to a Macbook Pro and considering what you would get under the hood. When at home unboxing the machine I was in awe of the build quality and especially the quality of the keyboard; it is a fantastic machine. The first thing I did was remove that god awfull windows 10, and installed Debian stretch on it right away. I chose stretch because of better uefi support.

I had a bit of trouble getting bumblebee to work but that was solved by adding

Code: Select all

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"
to my default/grub. I still have a problem with the Killer 1535 WiFi card. I don't have a problem with the WiFi part itself, it can connect even to 5ghz networks without a problem. The problem I am having is the bluetooth part inside this card. I didn't got it working yet, but I am not using bluetooth so I will be looking at this later. What is annoying me however is the fan speed. I remember when booting windows 10 (once) the fan speed was a bit lower because of some kind optimization done with software.

So I installed lm-sensors, it seems to only detect core temp. When doing pwmconfig as root I get: "There are no pwm-capable sensors modules installed"

I googled for two hours until I got to a point where I felt like I got into a infinite loop. And for some reason I believe the answer is in this page:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/783069/fan-control-on-msi-laptop-no-pwm-capable-sensors
Unfortunately I have no clue how to continue from the approved answer. When running the script I get:

modprobe: FATAL: Module ec_sys not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.0-3-amd64
-Profile Name: Quiet
[Temperatures_1]
>WEC 0x6A 0x2f
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./control.py", line 27, in <module>
    ec_write(int(addr,0), int(value,0))
  File "./control.py", line 12, in ec_write
    with open(EC_IO_FILE,"rb") as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/kernel/debug/ec/ec0/io'
Does anybody has a clue?

Thank you!

stevepusser

Re: MSI Ghost GS60-6QD Fan Control

#2 Post by stevepusser »

As far as I can tell, your Debian kernel was not configured to build whatever the "ec_sys" module is. I don't know if it's in the vanilla kernel configuration, or is added by some patch specific to whatever kernel those instructions refer to, or if you can build the driver and add it to your kernel. If it's Ubuntu, you can go to packages.ubuntu.com and see what files are installed by their kernels.

I don't see ec_sys in the Liquorix kernel, either.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

As far as I can tell, your Debian kernel was not configured to build whatever the "ec_sys" module is. I don't know if it's in the vanilla kernel configuration, or is added by some patch specific to whatever kernel those instructions refer to, or if you can build the driver and add it to your kernel. If it's Ubuntu, you can go to packages.ubuntu.com and see what files are installed by their kernels.

I don't see ec_sys in the Liquorix kernel, either. It may be this in the configuration:

# CONFIG_WATCHDOG_SYSFS is not set
MX Linux packager and developer

bdschr

#4 Post by bdschr »

Switched to 4.11 xanmod kernel, it seems to have the ec_sys module and the script is working perfectly.

Thanks!