Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Stretch Xfce touchpad: enable/disable while typing

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gabrielet

[SOLVED] Stretch Xfce touchpad: enable/disable while typing

#1 Post by gabrielet »

Hi all,

i've been looking for a solution of a problem which should be easy to solve but actually is not. I've just installed my Debian 9 Xfce desktop version on my laptop (which has also Xubuntu and the latest Fedora working with Xfce).

I've found this issue which is not improving at all my first Debian experience: the touchpad does not work while i'm typing. Google says that it is possible to enable/disable this option but in my system it can't be done or, at least, I am not able to do it.

I googled for solution (of course): someone say that i should have a tab in the System Settings - Mouse and touchpad dialog that allow me selecting the Enable/Disable option while typing: I don't have this tab. Someone suggest that, if there are more than one touchpad options available one should be disabled and everything must work: I have two options for the touchpad and one was disabled by me. If i disable the other one the touchpad does not work so I disabled the one which let me using the pad but still the problem is not solved. Also someone suggest to go through the terminal using Syndaemon which, in my system, appears not to be present. It is also not possible to install it since it seems that the package can't be found. Finally installing or using Synaptics seems impossible since it has the same issues of Syndaemon: command not found and/or impossible to find the packages while trying to install it.

Am i missing something?

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by gabrielet on 2017-06-20 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

orythem27

Re: Stretch Xfce touchpad issues: enable/disable it while ty

#2 Post by orythem27 »

It depends on which driver is currently being used for the touchpad. See the following links for more infomation.

Firstly detemine the current touchpad driver from the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

The first link contains infomation on how to disable "disable touchpad while typing" with driver "libinput" or "synaptics".

The second link explains how you can make the setting stick across reboots.

https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/ ... ile-typing
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questi ... ersistent/

gabrielet

Re: Stretch Xfce touchpad issues: enable/disable it while ty

#3 Post by gabrielet »

Thank you for the hints! It seems we're going in the right direction using Xinput.

I must have missed the link you've suggested: many thanks for the fast and useful reply! :D